1. Default Please Help! New Job means roadtrip from SD to Boston!!

Hi--I just discovered this website and it is full of great info! Would you mind sharing some good advice?

My husband just got a job on Boston & they need us there sooner rather than later. We have 2 cars, 2 cats and a medium-sized dog.

Can we make the trip in 6 days? What is the best route? What cities should we stop over in?

Any advice you have will be much, much appreciated. We have only taken one roadtrip before up the California Coast...and that was without pets, so needles to say we are nervous!

Default Should be an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBound View Post
    Hi--I just discovered this website and it is full of great info! Would you mind sharing some good advice?
    We have plenty of advice -- you'll have to decide if it passes the measure of "good". Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.
    My husband just got a job on Boston & they need us there sooner rather than later. We have 2 cars, 2 cats and a medium-sized dog.
    First of all, congratulations on the new job! Neither the two cats nor the dog should prove any sort of issue except as the combination. Most pet-friendly motels have a two critter limit. Just about all motel chains offer some form of pet-friendly options -- As a matter of choice I prefer Holiday Inn Express and La Quintas but three animals is going to be a matter of some discretion. It's pretty hot to leave either group of companions in the car over-night.
    Can we make the trip in 6 days? What is the best route? What cities should we stop over in?
    You can make the drive in five days if you drive 8-10 hours per day.

For household moves like this one, the most direct route and/or the fastest one is usually the best one. So, I would recommend I-8> I-10>I-20>I-35>I-44>I-70 and continuing the diagonal approach right into Boston.

Best advice: It never seems to work out this way, but try and get a couple of extra hours of sleep for 2-3 nights before you leave. Drink extra amounts of WATER, eat at least one meal out of a cooler, and read and think about these tips for a speed run. Oh, and be sure to stop and walk your buddies pretty often -- Here are some more tips and places you can stretch your legs as you cross the USA. Here are a few more tips for road trip travel with your four-legged buddies.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-05-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: corrected mapping error pointed out by GLC

I hate to contradict Mark, but that's not a valid route. I-20 goes nowhere near I-44.
    [Edit: And the catch is gratefully received & acted upon therein]

Fastest route from SD to Boston in my mapping program is I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80/I-90. This involves several toll roads. It's 3050 miles and best done in 6 days.

[Edit: Since the initial correction of route, GLC has worked on this some more. Here is his latest fastest route....
    The way I see it, the best alternate from SD to BOS to the route I posted is:

I-8/AZ-85/I-10/AZ-101/I-17/I-40/I-44/I-70/I-71/I-76/I-80/I-81/I-84/I-90.

You can cut off about half an hour by taking I-10 through Phoenix to AZ-202/AZ-87/AZ-260/AZ-277/AZ-377/AZ-87 to Holbrook. A trucker I was shooting the breeze with in a rest area in NM turned me on to this and it's also very scenic
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-05-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: better and improved information

Default I left out the connector

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I hate to contradict Mark, but that's not a valid route. I-20 goes nowhere near I-44.
    Edit: Yep, there is not direct route between these two Interstates.

I just ran four routes -- and the fastest in the mind of the computer is I-15 to I-80 and then directly east to Boston (with that little jog north to Boston)... But I'm not 100% convinced yet -- I still think I can devise a faster route than that chosen by a computer chip. One of these days, maybe I'll have to prove it...

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-05-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: corrections

5. Default Thank you & more questions!

Thank you so much for your help, Guys! We are very excited about the move, and obviously came to the right place. Either route will work for us...Any recommendations on the actual cities we should stop in?

Also, Thank you SO much for the "three critter" minumum rule! That saved us a lot of dissapointment! My hubby & I actually found a place that will "ship" your cats via ground transport in single-crate, air-conditioned vehicles with a vet! We were quoted just $675 for both cats, so i hope that works out.

Default Please let us know how that works out!

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBound View Post
    My hubby & I actually found a place that will "ship" your cats via ground transport in single-crate, air-conditioned vehicles with a vet! We were quoted just $675 for both cats, so i hope that works out.
    We'd love to know what you think of the service afterwards -- what's the name of the firm?

Mark

The best way to figure out where to stop is map out your route, then look to see what's near the 500 to 550 mile mark each day. You don't have to plan stops in large cities, the best hotel rates are usually at Interstate exits between cities. These hotels are a lot more convenient to get in and out of too, especially in the morning and evening rush. When I travel, I have a rough idea of how far I want to try to make it each day, but I drive till I feel it's about time to quit, then look for a hotel. I carry printed directories for Motel 6, Super 8, and Best Western in my truck.