1. Default Chicago to Yellowstone with kids

This is our first family roadtrip. We want to go in July, hit Rushmore, Deadwood, and Yellowstone. Any suggestions for stops along the way or general tips/suggestions. Our kids are 3, 6, and 8. We plan to camp at Yellowstone and grab a few nights of hotels. We're going for 13 days round trip.

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

I'd love to take the kids on a float down a river somewhere, fishing, or maybe tour a candy factory ... as you can see I really have no plan. Help!

Default a few ideas

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Having 2 weeks does mean you'll have lots of time to enjoy this trip and explore these great areas.

The only candy company I can think of on the way would be the Jelly Belly plant near Milwaukee, but that's pretty close to your home and could be saved for a daytrip in the future. Its not candy, but you might enjoy a stop at the Spam Museum near Austin MN. Candy its not, but the place certainly doesn't take itself too seriously and could be a nice break for the kids.

I believe several companies will allow various river trips near Yellowstone, but I don't have any personal recommendations. The same is likely true with fishing, although don't forget that you'll likely need to get state licenses wherever you do decide to go fishing.

Both the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD and Walldrug in Wall SD, are worth a stiop. The children will enjoy both, as will you. Make sure that you go to the complete back in Walldrug where they have the history mall, and the dinasaur which needs to eat, I think it is, every 15 mins. The kids can also have a go at gold-panning.

If you are able to go off I-90, and take a trip through the Big Horn Mountains on route 14A, you will have a good chance of seeing some wildlife - especially if you are there at the beginning or end of the day. A beautiful area.

Default Kid Friendly Stops

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, I don't know of any candy factories along I-90 through the upper Midwest either, but there are a few attractions along the way that should appeal to your children. The first would be the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, WI. Then, as Michael mentioned, there's the Spam Museum in Austin, MN, and for something a bit off-the-wall there's a collection of antique windmills in Jasper, MN. In South Dakota, places they might enjoy include the Corn Palace in Mitchell and Wall Drug in Wall. Next up would be a couple of major stops: Badlands National Park and Mount Rushmore. A short side trip when you first enter Wyoming will bring you to Devils Tower, and just after entering Montana, there's the Little Bighorn National Battlefield.

AZBuck

5. Default

Personally, I would tell you to please skip the Corn Palace! It was not worth even 10 minutes of driving out of the way! The front of the building has corn on it. The inside is nothing! Absolutely nothing. It is actually a "stadium" used for the local high school basketball games or something. It has a few tables with over priced made in china plastic tourist souvenirs and some pamphlets of the town/palace. I can't understand why people go to this. We were shocked and spent all of 5 minutes there before getting back in the car. Take your kids to Mt. Rushmore. It is historical, educational, and quite the site!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-03-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Good Neighbor Rules

Well, I am not sure when you were there, but both times I have been there, all four sides of the building had agricultural history murals made only of corn... corn of all colours and shapes. Corn which I believe is grown especially for the purpose.

And as for the inside, true, it is a stadium, and the visitor information centre. It is good to see it being used, and not just an idle museum. And it is ever so decorative on the inside as well.

Round the walls are the pictures of years gone by. There is a different theme to the outside murals every year... they are re-done every year, and the best of them are depicted in the large framed photos all around the inside walls. As well as that, the inside also has extensive corn murals, including some on the ceiling - which are in place of acoustic tiles.

It really is a great example of craftmanship.

Lifey who spent hours there
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-03-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Default tastes

The corn palace certainly fits the bill of touristy kitch, that's certainly not everyones taste. I know plenty of people who would say the same things about Wall Drug, or any other similar roadside stop. Heck, I know several people who've been very disappointed in Mount Rushmore and wouldn't go back!

All of these things are based on personal taste, and your opinion is going to be based in large point on what you are expecting going in. That's a big reason why one of the founding prinicipals of this website is that there are no boring places.