Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Road Trip Conversion Van

I have done some searching on the site to find other peoples road trip purpose build conversion vans and found none! So I decided I would post some pictures of my setup. I recently bought a cannon xs camera but I am overseas at the moment so these pictures will have to do.

I bought the van for $1800 from ebay. I have taken out the middle seats and modified some of the inner panels. The black box next to the cabinets is my tool box. I used a curtain rod and a blanket for privacy behind the front driver and passenger seats.

When I return home I plan on taking out the window behind the driver seat and installing fans or an AC/Heater unit, still trying to figure that one out!

I just figured this may be helpful for those who are thinking about buying a conversion van for these purposes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 picture max... Here are the rest

I took a month long road trip throughout the East Coast so the shelves obviously were filled with cooking supplies, canned food, books, and other road trip needs. I get back to the states mid August so I will upload better pictures then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Ummm -- One concern

Thanks for the photos -- Pretty interesting conversion underway.

One question -- how close to the GVW are you now and if, these modifications are going to exceed it -- what modifications are your planning to do with respect to the braking and suspension systems?

Mark

The vans base weight is 7200lbs
    The GVW is 10000lbs

I removed two seats - 120 lbs?
    Some trim and molding - 10 lbs?
    Supplies added + 300 lbs?

That totals somewhere close to 170 + pounds from where I started. I bought new heavy duty tires for the rear and new fresh rotors and pads for the front disks. When I add the window fans/ac I will still be safe I feel. The loss of weight from the glass may cancel out the addition of whatever I may put in window wise.

10k? That must be a E-350. I'd advise you to hit a set of truck scales when you get done to make sure you are within not only the GVWR, but also the front and rear GAWR.

It looks like a Great Purpose built vehicle, it should serve you well and save ALOT of money, to be spent on other things. I am in the process of building such a ride out of a 97 Dodge Shorty. We want to use it for camping, since
    I drive truck for a living, i seldom get in earlier than Late Friday nite, so my wife who is partially disabled, can take it to the campground and set up, without a lot of work. The 1st thing i did was remove the converta bed, i built a frame and added a good air mattress. I eventually want to add a 110
    AC unit, along with a microwave and some type of cook stove.
    I hope to learn things i can use for this type of camping and Road trips. I will also share what i develop also.

Default Conversion vans, in general

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    10k? That must be a E-350. I'd advise you to hit a set of truck scales when you get done to make sure you are within not only the GVWR, but also the front and rear GAWR.
    The conversion vans I'm familiar with, including the one my late father owned for a few years, are 3/4 ton to 1-ton chassis (which would include Ford's E250 and E350 designations) to begin with, in order to accomodate the weight of the interior installations and passengers and luggage. Dad's was a Chevy and was built on a 3/4 ton (C20) van chassis.

I am interested to see that PSYCHOward will plan to power his A/C with household current provided by the campsite hookup. The OP has contemplated a battery-powered HVAC unit, and I can't for the life of me figure how to make that work on batteries. I envision the startup surge and the ongoing compressor operations as far, far too great for even a bank of batteries. It's quite possible even a 2,000 watt generator won't pull one.

Foy

I want to use a room size bedroom unit, about 6-6000 btu's. I want it to be free standing not poking out the side if the van. I'm not sure what to do about the condensation yet i'll try my larger unit that i already have, if i get solved then i'll buy a smaller unit. I will power with 110 at the campground when availible, but will eventually have a generator and possibly an invertor
    to power it.

What about a portable unit?

The only thing that has to go outside is an air pipe, and the condensate drains out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    What about a portable unit?

The only thing that has to go outside is an air pipe, and the condensate drains out of that.
    I have given up on the air conditioning idea. I think I am just going to try a window fan setup and see if that provides enough ventilation for the van. I get back to the states the 6th and plan on starting the project soon after so I will be sure to get a few pics.