Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default LA-San Francisco-Las Vegas

I am new to this site so hope I have posted this in the right place!

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to California and Las Vegas in June next year. We have only got two weeks and we want to drive from LA to San Francisco to Las Vegas - is this possible to do in 2 weeks??

We want to be able to see as much as possible - I would really appreciate any suggestions of places we should go??

Thanks very much for any replies

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I did a quick search of our site at this link. You'll find there's a wealth of information already about this particular route.

Is this going to be a round trip or one-way? There are a ton of options available to you, including Death Valley, Yosemite, and even a detour out to Grand Canyon.

South of England.

Default Wonderful journey!

This is a very popular topic on the forums and as well as the link Tim gave you, you could take a look through some of favorite threads.

With 2 weeks you have plenty of time to visit the three city's but as Tim noted there are many other options open to you and a lot will depend on how much time you want to spend in one place. If you wanted to drive down the PCH [route 1 coast road] but not miss out on the amazing landscapes of Death valley and Yosemite then a loop trip could work well, starting and finishing in any of the 3 city's you mentioned.

When you have had a look around if you have more questions just ask and we can help you to "fine tune" your trip.

4. Default thanks

Thanks for the info.

We are planning on starting in LA and finishing in Las Vegas.

I will have a look at the links and info you suggested -I will probably have loads of questions once ive looked through it all!

Thanks so much!

South of England.

Default That would work.

We are planning on starting in LA and finishing in Las Vegas.
    That would work fine.

A popular choice would be LA > SF via the coastal route with a 1 or 2 night break on the way [Carmel/Monterey] and then across to Yosemite, over the Tioga pass on 120 [very scenic] to 395 and South to Lone pine and 190/160 through Death valley to Vegas. Grand canyon would be an overnight stop at the least, but well worth the time. That would be a fairly relaxed fortnight full of amazing and diverse scenery.

6. Default

Thanks for the route info Southwest Dave - thats really useful.

Glad to know the trip can be done at a leisurely pace in 2 weeks as I was worried it might not be enough time!

Thanks for your help

7. Default LA-San Francisco-Las Vegas itinerary

Hey - so I have been loking through this forum, browsing the internet and reading guides book etc and this is the rough outline of an itinerary that i have come up with for my trip in June 2010.

Sat - Arrive LA, explore LA and check into hotel (need hotel advice)
    Sun - Universal studio or Disneyland??
    Mon - LA sightseeing then drive to Santa Barbara area - need somewhere to stay
    Tues - Drive up to Big Sur - through Solvang and visit Hearst Castle on way. Stay over in Big Sur region?
    Wed - Monterey and then drive up to San Francisco (stay in SF)
    Thurs - Alcatraz
    Fri - Leave SF - drive to Yosemite - stay at Eergreen lodge
    Sat - Day at Yosemite - stay at Evergreen lodge again
    Sun - Drive to Death Valley (need somewhere to stay at DV?)
    Mon- Day in DV and stay over again?
    Tues - Drive to Las Vegas
    Wed to Fri - Las Vegas and Grand Canyon trip
    Sat - Fly home from Las Vegas

What do you think?? Would appreciate any comments on whether you think i should change anything or if ive tried to do too much all at once? Have I missed anything out that we should really go and see?

Any advice on accomodation in LA, Santa Barbara, Big Sur and San Francisco would also be appreciated - we dont want to pay too much for accomodation.

Last edited by AZBuck; 07-13-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Please do not start new threads for the same trip.

South of England.

Default Grand canyon.

Your itinerary looks pretty good but do you realise that the Grand canyon is more than a day trip and would require an overnight stay in or near to the park?
    This could be easily rectified by not having a second night in Death valley. From Yosemite you could stay at Lone pine and drive across in a day to Vegas or Stovepipe Wells near to the sand dunes in DV. Furnace creek resort is also a popular option but might be a little far from Yosemite and to close to Vegas if you decided on one night.
    With accommodation it's usually a matter of searching for a deal and location that's best suited for your needs. In San Fran, Lombard street has reasonable rates for lodgings and some include parking, which can be expensive nearer the city centre.

9. Default San Fran tours

I was wondering if anyone knows of any company which offers tours of San Fran and Alcatraz.

Im looking for something I can book in advance online - found some by doing a search on google but want to book something reputable so any suggestions would be great

Mod note] I have merged your threads together as I presume it is the same trip. Please keep all questions in one place for this trip as previously requested.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-08-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Merged Threads.

South of England.

Default Alcatraz.

For Alcatraz book direct through the NPS which is the only place you can buy official tickets direct. All other tickets are sold by tour operators with other tours included as it is the only way they can make their money.

It gets extremely busy and is wise to book ahead as you would have to Que for ages if they weren't already sold out.

There are many tours/guides out there and I have heard a couple of good reports about these people, but to be honest, other than Alcatraz [where you need to book the ferry] I think it's far better to find your own way around.