1. Default Need Suggestions for SOuthwest: texas to san diego

Hello everyone, I am new to this board and I think that this will be a great tool in aiding my current road-trip. Well I have been on the road for about 2 weeks from Pittsburgh and am currently staying in Houston. The reason I am posting is that I am very interested in knowing some great off-beat places to see,stay,camp or explore on my journey through the southwest. I will be celebrating the 4th of July in Austin and my next stop will be Carlsbad, Nm. I plan on staying in El Paso after Carlsbad and the farthest north I will be traveling untill San Diego is Phoenix. I am up for all suggestions, as I have no time schedule. I am a roughneck traveler where I have been staying on couches of locals, hostels, camping, etc. so keep that in mind. I'd love to stop by ghostowns, and whatever else is exciting and interesting on my route. All suggestions are appreciated!!!! Thank You!

Tucson, AZ

Default In That General Area

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

Some places that might appeal to you along roughly I-10 through southeastern Arizona would be the Chiricahuas and nearby Fort Bowie (the later reachable only by dirt road and a mile and a half hike), Tombstone and the Coronado National Monument. There are then some graded dirt forest service roads that roughly follow the border to Nogales that pass though and by about half a dozen abandoned mining operations and ghost towns such as Lochiel and Duquesne.