Default NYC to Greensboro, NC

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are driving down from New York City to Greensboro, N.C. next week. I am from Europe and have only been down as far as DC, I would really like to stop along the way at some interesting/historical attractions. Does anyone have a suggested route? We don't want to take more than two days driving down. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Default An Historic Journey

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

Much of America's early history is laid out along that general route, so finding interesting historic venues really shouldn't present a problem. For starters, there's Independence Hall in Philadelphia, and the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross' House, Elfreth's Alley and other locations. Then in Washington there are all the monuments, government buildings and national museums. Once south of Washington, I'd suggest that you get off of I-95 and instead use I-66/US-29 down to Greensboro with a stop at Charlottesville, VA and see Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello. Also along the way are several Revolutionary and Civil War Battlefields if those also appeal to you

AZBuck

Default Civil War

Along this route are many sites where the United States Civil War was waged. You could head across Pennsylvania along I-78, then shoot down US-15 to Gettysburg. From there, along MD-77 to MD-64 to I-81. I-81 heads through Winchester, which changed hands from the North to the South and back again over 70 times during the War.

This would also take you through one of my favorite areas, the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

Default And from there........

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Along this route are many sites where the United States Civil War was waged. You could head across Pennsylvania along I-78, then shoot down US-15 to Gettysburg. From there, along MD-77 to MD-64 to I-81. I-81 heads through Winchester, which changed hands from the North to the South and back again over 70 times during the War.

This would also take you through one of my favorite areas, the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
    .........you can take I-64 from the southern part of the Shenandoah Valley, cross the Blue Ridge Mountains (easy, single grade of several miles up from the Valley, then several miles down into the Piedmont) and connect to US 29 at Charlottesville. Just 5 miles further east of the I-64/US 29 junction, Jefferson's Monticello lies only a mile or two off of I-64. As was noted, US 29 then takes you south through Lynchburg and Danville, VA into NC at Greensboro.

Foy