Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default maui to san diego to western mass

in a couple weeks im flying to maui to put a car on a boat to san diego. lucky for me i have a couple days to drive around. gonna do the hana highway of course. but iwould like to hear some other ideas. also i wouldlike to know the most scenic route to the grand canyon from san diego. driving a honda element so a little dirt road travel would be ok. thanks in advance

Default a few options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are a few option to get to the Grand Canyon from San Diego. The most straightforward would be to take I-15 to I-40, but you'd have several options if you want to detour on to the old route 66 for a bit. You could also go over towards Palm Springs, through Joshua Tree NP, over to the Colorado River and work north from there. A Third option would be to head over to Phoenix and then go north through the Sedona area. Its a full day drive via the interstates to the Grand Canyon, so if you plan to spend a lot of time on the detours, you'd probably want to spend a night somewhere along the way.

Be sure to do the sunrise and cycle thing at Haleakala. Take a look at my blog from my visit last year for a few ideas!

Default Even Better...

...than the Hana Coast drive is only occasionally paved, and barely 1 car wide, HA-340 around the northwestern coast of the island. This also lets you see Lahaina (touristy in large measure, but well worth a stop if you stick to the historic sites). This road will bring you out (if you start from Lahaina) near 'Iao Valley State Park and the 'Iao Needle, probably the 'must see' on Maui. When I tried to drive the complete circuit of the Hana Road last year, a couple of bridges were out as a result of an earthquake, so be sure to check and be prepared to just have to turn back at Hana and retrace your steps.

AZBuck

Default thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are a few option to get to the Grand Canyon from San Diego. The most straightforward would be to take I-15 to I-40, but you'd have several options if you want to detour on to the old route 66 for a bit. You could also go over towards Palm Springs, through Joshua Tree NP, over to the Colorado River and work north from there. A Third option would be to head over to Phoenix and then go north through the Sedona area. Its a full day drive via the interstates to the Grand Canyon, so if you plan to spend a lot of time on the detours, you'd probably want to spend a night somewhere along the way.
    thanks for telling me its a full day on the I'S. what is a full day, 8hrs or so. we have 2 drivers.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    Be sure to do the sunrise and cycle thing at Haleakala. Take a look at my blog from my visit last year for a few ideas!
    thanks but no thanks. great pics on your blog,looks like a good time but i would be a dead man after peddlin around on them hills. gonna stick with the bread box element. aloaha.

Default yeah,sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    ...than the Hana Coast drive is only occasionally paved, and barely 1 car wide, HA-340 around the northwestern coast of the island. This also lets you see Lahaina (touristy in large measure, but well worth a stop if you stick to the historic sites). This road will bring you out (if you start from Lahaina) near 'Iao Valley State Park and the 'Iao Needle, probably the 'must see' on Maui. When I tried to drive the complete circuit of the Hana Road last year, a couple of bridges were out as a result of an earthquake, so be sure to check and be prepared to just have to turn back at Hana and retrace your steps.

AZBuck
    i was wondering about that road,been looking at it on the map. will do that for sure. i have 6 days.

Thing is you don't! They drive you to the top to see the sunrise (wrap up WARM -- it is seriously cold!), drive you back to the road, then let you loose on a bike to coast all the way back to the shop. From memory it is about 40 miles but, with a 10,000ft descent, I don't recall pedalling once! You have to do it! lol

SD to GC by fastest route is 600 miles, figure at least 10 hours.

Default Pines to palms...then Sedona

I would take I 15 to Temecula and follow CA 76 to 317 to 74, that goes into Palm Springs. That is an incredible route, and a really fun road to drive.

pick up I 10 in palm springs and take it east until US 60, take that until 71, then 89, which goes right through sedona.

60, 71, and 89 are all lonely desert roads that seem to never end, but are carved into various mountains, so they get pretty twisty.

If you do go this route, i say stop on route 180 in AZ at the lava tube. its an old volcanic fissure and is a fun road side attraction.

If not this, than the route 66 way is just as fun!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...37,7.13562&z=8