1. Default Adventure wanted: Denver to San Diego?

Hello... Well Im in the process of slowing life down a bit and taking time to do those important things in life, you know traveling, hiking, fishing, eating:) At least for a week or so (damn those bills) Anyway, so heres the trip Leaving San Diego and headed to Denver for a wedding second week in July. We will be doing night driving from Diego to Denver but I wanted to get some input for the return route? I have never been to the Grand Canyon so that seems like an excellent stop on the way. Im traveling with a friend and both of us love the outdoors and spontaneous adventures so any ideas for hot springs, fishing spots, high cliffs, I guess there isn't much we wouldn't like to do! If anyone has made the run from Denver to San Diego and stopped to see the grand canyon I would love to have your input! Thanks much and look forward to your reply. Jayda

South of England.

Default Some ideas.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I am not sure I understand why you are night driving through some great scenery but it will take a couple of days either way to travel and with at least a day for the wedding an extra couple of days would make a big difference.
    If you took I-15 and I-70 out as a direct route you could visit Arches NP and there is Glenwood springs with there hot springs also on route and a diversion towards Steamboat springs and Strawberry park is possible time permitting.
    On the way home you could head South from I-70 through the old mining town of Leadville [from I-70 a trip over Loveland pass to Dillon res is poss] and down US 24/285 and West on US 50 to the Black canyon for your high cliff "fix". From Montrose head South down the Million dollar highway [550] and enjoy the towns [and hot spring] of Ouray and Silverton.
    From Durango Mesa Verde and Monument valley are possible on the way to the Grand canyon, but these are just a few options you could choose from depending on the time you have available. Sorry, no idea about fishing spots.

Default And a couple more............

Hello jayd,

If it's adventure you want..........

........on the Colorado side of things, surely you must pass through the section from around Vail to Denver in the daytime as that brings you some of the best, and most easily-accessed alpine scenery anywhere in the Lower 48.

If you missed it on the way in to Denver, go back out that way, through the Eisenhower Tunnel, over Vail Pass, to Minturn, thence south on US 24 to and through Leadville, to Buena Vista, CO. There you can turn west up Cottonwood Canyon road and top out at around 10,000' at the pass. Along the way is the Cottonwood Hot Springs, a somewhat rustic hot springs resort complex right along the road. They were on the 'Net last time I looked. Anyway, atop the pass, weather permitting, is a stunning vista including several of Colorado's "Fourteeners" in the Presidential Range. The road is well-graded gravel on the west side as it descends to Taylor Park Reservoir. Back on asphalt there, continuing downhill takes you to Gunnison, CO and the main road to and past the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Montrose, and thence along the Million Dollar Highway.

If you did see the alpine stretch of I-70 and don't care to repeat it, you can access Buena Vista, CO by going down US 285 southwest of Denver, through Fairplay. In fact, if Cottonwood Hot Springs and the pass isn't your cup of tea, you can turn south at BV and head to Salida, where a large and perhaps nicer hot spring resort lies (Pagosa?), and from there head west past Gunnison for the balance of the above and below.

Just a few short years ago, I found some interesting hot springs resorts in the Silverton/Ouray vicinity and I imagine they're easily found. The most rudimentary of internet searches will provide many links to western US hot springs, from "pack in, pack out" to high-luxe resorts.

At the far south end of the Million Dollar Highway lies Durango, a nice and fun town to visit (and likely the location of more hot springs--Colorado's lousy with them). From there, you can pass by Mesa Verde enroute to the Four Corners, Monument Valley, and on down to the Grand Canyon.

Have fun planning and taking your RoadTrip!

Last edited by Foy; 06-30-2009 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Distractions......they'll make you do dumb duplicate posts.