Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Road trip California May/June 2010 - Just started planning

Hi,

Been here for a while looking around but just registered today. First, I just wanted to say that this seems like a great forum packed with useful information!

I'm planning a road trip for next year and have just started planning for it. I though I would ask for some advise on how we should set up the trip. We would like to see LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Yosemite & Lake Tahoe. Is it possible to see all this in 3 weeks and what itinerary would be the best?

Here are some thoughts:

Fly in to LA (hire car at LAX) and spend a couple of days there. Then head down to San Diego. From SD to Las Vegas. From Las Vegas to Yosemite. From Yosemite to Lake Tahoe. From Tahoe to San Fransisco and then the costal route down to LA again where we return the car at LAX and fly back to Sweden.

Is this at all possible to do in 3 weeks? Is this a logical route or are there unnecessary driving?

I'm not looking for any details on the stops (I'm sure I can get that just searching in the existing treads) but simply some advice on the route.

Many thanks in advance
    Sofia

Default the potential roadblock

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Your route outline is fine, except for one potential issue. Traveling from Vegas to Yosemite to Tahoe to San Francisco means you'd have to cross the Sierras 3 times. This is of particular concern because Tioga Pass (the crossing through Yosemite) typically doesn't open for the year until late may or early june depending upon the weather. If the pass is closed, you'll be much better off going to Tahoe first, then hitting Yosemite on the way back to SFO.

If you do that, you can get back across the Sierras on CA-88 (Carson Pass) which is maintained year-round and to me, it's a lot more scenic and less heavily traveled than US-50 or I-80.

OK, thanks!

So start and finish in LA is a good idea? We would like to start and finish at the same place due to lower air fare but would it be better to choose Las Vegas, San Diego or San Francisco instead of LA?

Default shop around

Since you are doing a loop trip, I don't see why it would matter where you start/finish. You're going to go to all of the same places regardless. I'd shop around and see where you can find the best prices for airfare/car rental and go from there.

That's true, probably the best way to do it.

But three weeks should be enough for this trip?

Default pretty standard

We have thousands of posts and questions about a trip that follows this same general outline, and I'd say that 2-3 weeks is a pretty average amount of time for this loop. You really shouldn't have any problems having a great time with this amount of time.

Perfect, thanks for your help!

Default Plenty of time !

Hi Sofia,

Here are some of our favorite threads covering the area. As Michael said, there are many many more you can find using the search button.

Three weeks to do your outline itinerary is pretty relaxed and the Grand canyon is only 5-6 hours from Vegas and a couple of nights there would be time well spent. From Vegas to Tahoe you could drive across the fascinating landscape of Death valley and make an overnight stop on route.

When you have decided where you will be starting from and need more help with your itinerary let us know and we can help piece your trip together.

Thanks, will look around here. Have already found loads of info that helped.

I'll definitely ask for help again when I'm a bit further in the planing process.

Many thanks!