Default San Francisco to NYC

Hello there, have been lurking and reading some of the posts on here for a few days and thought I'd post up our itinerary for critique from the masses.

My brother and I are from the UK and are planning a road trip from SF to NYC over 18 days in August. We're also using the planning process as an experiment in collaborative working and crowdsourcing.

(Editor's Note: We like the concept behind your web sites, but first time posters have not yet earned the right to post links to their personal blogs and/or sites. So, I've removed for now. As your trip expands or your activity herein develops, the Mod of the Day may re-instate those links)

Brief Itinerary
    31st July: Arrive SFO 9pm
    1st Aug: SF (perhaps spend the night slightly down coast?)
    2nd: Big Sur / National Parks
    3rd: LA
    4th: Vegas
    5th: Grand Canyon
    6th: Glenwood Springs / National Parks *ouchlongday*
    7th: Boulder
    8th: Anama Colonies?
    9th-10th: Chicago
    11th-13th: Toronto & Niagara (relatives)
    14th: Boston
    15th: New York *return car to Manhattan 9pm*
    16th: New York
    17th: Fly out LGA

There's no denying that we've set an aggressively fast pace here, possibly too fast (though we both have some experience of road trips in other countries). I can see definite room for slippage in Canada (at the risk of offending the relatives!), and removal of the Boston section if that takes some of the pressure off, but where would be a good place to add the freed up days? (Probably not LA, I've spent time there before).

If anyone cares to read the detailed itinerary (linked above) you'll see some of the activities we have planned, but feel free to suggest anything along the route that we should be visiting but haven't considered. It's very much a work in progress but I'm feeling quite good about the route at the moment, and I want to get on and book some accommodation in the popular areas soon.

Thanks for your time,
    Alex.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-27-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: removed links as per Forum policy

Default Aggressive? Yes, possibily impossible as well

Brief Itinerary
    31st July: Arrive SFO 9pm
    1st Aug: SF (perhaps spend the night slightly down coast?)
    2nd: Big Sur / National
    Parks
    What national park are you referring to here? There are no national parks on the road between SF and LA on the coast.
    3rd: LA
    4th: Vegas
    5th: Grand Canyon
    Why don't you skip either LA or Las Vegas -- your pace is too rapid here
    6th: Glenwood Springs / National Parks *ouchlongday*
    7th: Boulder
    Again, what parks are you thinking about here?
    8th: Anama Colonies?
    9th-10th: Chicago
    11th-13th: Toronto & Niagara (relatives)
    14th: Boston
    15th: New York *return car to Manhattan 9pm*
    I don't think this time-frame is even remotely possible.

I guess if you were to plan to be in the car a minimum of 10 hours per day and you drove at or above the posted speed limits every minute of every one of those 10 hours (impossible, but...) you might be able to cover this much distance... but in the real world -- you're not going to have sufficient time to worry about getting reservations anywhere -- you'll need to grab the easiest motel and push hard the next day...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    What national park are you referring to here? There are no national parks on the road between SF and LA on the coast.
    Ahh ok, been reading up on the National Park Service website now, there are certain areas which I had assumed were parks which weren't. Change that to 'campsite' then.
    Why don't you skip either LA or Las Vegas -- your pace is too rapid here
    That's not a bad idea, hadn't considered this. Can probably avoid LA completely...
    Again, what parks are you thinking about here?
    See above. Was in particular referring to the area around Gunnison Forest but it's a large distance to cover.
    I don't think this time-frame is even remotely possible.
    Well taking Boston out technically recovers 2 days, can probably squeeze one more out of Toronto, and missing out LA gives some more time back too, so there is something to work with here. Will give it some more thought...

Alex.
    Last edited by TheNolanBrothers; 06-27-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Default So..... You are camping as you go?

If you're camping -- I can guarantee your pace is impossibly fast -- You need to cut quite a bit. Because, set-up, cooking, etc (while much less expensive) will require 3-4 hours per day (set-up and striking, cooking, etc.) so that means that you realistically you can only drive 450 miles per day (and that will still mean, you need to up and either striking camp and on the road, or setting up camp) -- so you're still looking at 12+ hours in travel mode per day. Are you really up for that grueling a pace? It can be done -- but you need to really understand what that pace will require.

Mark