Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default around 10 day trip starting in new york city...

Hi!

I'm planning to visit my brother who is doing his master thesis in new york city in september. I've never been to america before and i want to use this trip to stay about 2.5 weeks and i want to see something besides new york. however, the big question is WHAT ;-) this country is sooo big and there are sooo many possibilities!

I thought about renting a car and driving up north, long island, boston, adirondack park, maybe maine or niagara falls and then back to new york? is this too much programme for about 10 days? is it already "indian summertime" in the second half of september?

the other possibility is to book a very cheap flight to miami and visit florida to combine the city trip new york with beach holidays. however, i m afraid, the beaches in florida are very crowded and i would prefer it to see something of the wilderness in the north (forests etc. does the adirondack national park suet this wish? ).

thank you very much for the answer in advance!
    cheers,
    Sabiene

Default My Favorite Parts of the Country

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

And almost my favorite time of year. You'll be a little early to view the wonderful fall colors of New England and New York, but September has the benefit that neither will the roads be crowded with other tourists trying to see them either. With 1½-2½ weeks, you can see quite a bit of both New England and the Middle Atlantic States, so you're really only limited by how many things you can cram into that time period. Besides the Adirondacks, you might want to look at Acadia National Park and Baxter State Park in Maine, the White Mountains National Forest in northern New Hampshire, the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area on the border between New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. And those are just the wilderness areas. If you have an interest in history, scenery, crafts, music, museums, or almost anything else, that area of the country has plenty to offer, just speak up and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thank you for your answer!

I just googled the "Acadia National Park": it looks great! and also all the other things you mentioned.

I would really like to just rent a car and drive north. in case of good weather we would like to hike a little bit in this area / parks / mountains and in case of bad weather it would be great to have the possibility also visit museums. but i think we would prefer the "wilderness" ;-)

I think with the hiking and lots of stops on the way (we do not want to just drive through and take pictures out of the car) its a little bit to much to visit both florida and new england and new york? what do you think?

And i think we prefer green forests (they are also nice) with less tourists over colorful forest that are overcrowded...

Greetings from switzerland,
    sabiene

Default And Some of My Favorite Hikes

Quote Originally Posted by sabiene

Greetings from switzerland.
    Well in that case: Willkommen! Bienvenue! Benvenuta! and, sorry, I don't know Romansche.

There's no need to decide beforehand where you'll go or how much ground you'll cover. While I think it would be possible to see much of New England and New York in 10 days, you might prefer a more leisurely pace with lots of hiking and less driving. But since you are going in September, in the lull between summer and 'leaf peepimg' seasons, there should be plenty of vacancies and you should not need reservations anywhere you go.

So let me just point you to a couple of hikes in that area I've really enjoyed. One would be the climb to the top of Mount Jefferson from Jefferson Notch. This is in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Everyone will talk about climbing Mount Washington and I've done that a few times, but it's more work whereas the Mount Jefferson climb just always seemed more relaxed to me. For hiking in the White Mountains in general, check in with the Appalachian Mountain Club for their recommendations.

Another hike that is flatter but quite rewarding is the one into the Flume in Franconia Notch between Lincoln and Franconia, NH. And if you're into serious long distance hiking, there are a couple of cross-country trails in the area: the Appalachian Trail from Maine down through New Hampshire and Massachusetts, and the Long Trail which runs the length of Vermont.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-27-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Grammer

Default One of the best guide books ever written about Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by sabiene View Post
    I just googled the "Acadia National Park": it looks great! and also all the other things you mentioned.
    James Kaiser writes great guide books to national parks -- the one about Acadia is very good. Click here for my review.

Mark

If you are looking for wilderness and forests, I'd take a pass on Florida. Florida is semi-tropical and more oriented towards beaches and watersports. Even in September, it will be predominantly hot and humid.

7. Default

@Mark Sedenquist: I'm still in love with the acadia national park ;-) thanks for the book recommodation!

@AZBuck: Willkommen back ;-) being able to driver wherever you want without needing to make reservations is exactly the thing I prefer to do during holidays...it really sounds great!
    If you say it is possible to see both new york and new england in ten days then I'm very happy: because we're planning to spend 6-7 days in new york and then we want to use the full 10 days for our roundtrip ind new england...

but I (coming from a very small country ;-) ) m still a little bit afraid of the huge distances... they seem soooo long on the map!

how long do you think you need to drive from new york over boston to portland?

what about cape cod? it seems also to be very nice?

cheers
    sabine

Default New England's Size

New England isn't all that big either, and roads such as I-84, I-90, I-95 are all of autobahn quality (if not with the same speed limits) so that it is quite easy to drive from New York to Boston to Portland in a day. That would not necessarily allow much time for stops and hikes, but the point is the distances involved should not prove daunting. I used to routinely drive from York, ME to Wilmington, DE in a single 7-8 hour sitting. Cape Cod can be nice and certainly has some of the best beaches in New England, but it can be a bit out of the way. On the positive side, September is one of the best months to explore it. The crowds have gone home, but the weather will still be moderately inviting, and the Cape Cod National Seashore offers many hiking trails.

AZBuck

9. Default

thank you so much AZBuck for your help, I really appreciate it!

is there any cheep bus driving from maine to new york? because i thought about renting the car in new york, drive up north and then give it back for example in portland, maine and then drive back by bus or even airplane...then we would for sure have very much time to do whatever we want to do on the way up....

on the other hand: my brother met e girl in new york, perhaps i'm not there for the last time? ;-) this is always a big problem of me. when i'm planing holidays i want to have perfect holidays and i would like to see as much beautiful things as possible... and that's quite exhausting sometimes ;-)

There will be a one way dropoff fee if you do not return the rental car back to where you rented it. You can easily drive back from Portland to NYC in one day, it's only about 6 hours. A bus won't get you back any faster, so you would be taking just as much time and spending more money. By the time you get done with security and baggage, a flight would take almost as long too.