1. Default Need some help - Denver to Yellow Stone to Philly

Hello, looking for some suggestions for my trip out west. here is my general time line.

7/10 Fri Doylestown, PA Leave around 3:00 pm
    7/11 Sat on the road
    7/12 Sun Arrive In Denver by 10:00 pm
    7/13 Mon WORK Denver
    7/14 Tue WORK Denver
    7/15 Wed WORK Denver until 3:00pm
    7/16 Thu
    7/17 Fri
    7/18 Sat
    7/19 Sun
    7/20 Mon
    7/21 Tue
    7/22 Wed
    7/23 Thu
    7/24 Fri
    7/25 Sat HEAD HOME?
    7/26 Sun on the road
    7/27 Mon Doylestown, PA

Only things set in Stone is I need to be in Denver the 13th,14th and until about 3:00 pm on the 15th.

Was thinking of heading north after work on the 15th towards Yellow Stone or Grand Tetons.
    I will be towing a Tiny Trailer (tear drop trailer).
    I would like to back pack and tent camp some in either or both NP’s if possible or camp out of trailer and take day hikes.

This being my first trip of this nature what is a realistic goal or number of miles or hours behind the wheel in a day? 8 hours… with breaks etc… or some number of miles on avg.?
    What is the best Trip planning software I can purchase? What GPS’s are recommended?

I’m sure I will have more questions but this is a start as the date is baring down on me.

Thanks for any help.

Appreciate it
    rich

what is a realistic goal or number of miles or hours behind the wheel in a day?
    550 miles on Interstate highways, less on 2 lane roads. This will have you on the road for about 10 hours including normal short stops (fuel, bathroom, stretch, but no sitdown meals).

What is the best Trip planning software I can purchase? What GPS’s are recommended?
    If you have a laptop computer with an auto power source, you can kill 2 birds with one stone. Microsoft Streets & Trips with GPS module. The GPS module plugs into a USB port.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A busy start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The max miles we suggest to travel in one day is 500-550 which would put you on the road for around 9-10 hours with short stops for getting gas, food, a stretch of the legs and visits to the loo. To cover the distance to Denver and presuming you drive untill about 10pm on your first night, you will still have 2 x 12 hour days ahead of you before starting work.
    With the time in between you could head for Yellowstone and the Tetons via Rocky NP and start heading home on I-90 past Mount Rushmore, Custer state park and Badlands.
    Have a look around the forums and road trip planning pages using the search button for many ideas and possibility's.

4. Default

I have hiked Rock mt np. so I'm going to by pass it this time.

I don't think I can make to Yellow Stone or Even Grand Teton if I leave work at 3:30 Wednesday... looks like an hour drive. Anyone know of any good camp site about half way between Denver and yellow stone?

Or maybe i just drive far as I can and find a Wal-Mart for a4-5 hour snooze....

I have to go get some books tonight, and some trip software I think...

I need a new tent even though I will have the tiny tear drop trailer.... I want a gps that work both in car and on the trail...do they make such a thing?

thx
    bull
    Last edited by Bullcrappy; 06-26-2009 at 07:06 AM.

I want a gps that work both in car and on the trail...do they make such a thing?
    Yep, look at the Garmin Nuvi 500 and 550.

6. Default

Thx GLC... will do some research on them tonight..

r