1. Default Advice on Road Trip East Coast

Hi all,

Thank god I stumbled across this web page! I am so confused as to what to do! Hopefully someone on the forum can help me with some advice.
    I will be coming to USA in August and am planning on doing a road trip with a friend.
    So far, our "plan" is: Rent a car in Brunswick, ME. Drive through Vermont to Montreal > Toronto > Chicago > Philly > Washington > New York > Boston.

Is Chicago worth going out of the way from Toronto, or is it better to see Niagara Falls and go straight down.
    We have about 17 days and hope to camp along the way (except in NY).

Please, any advice you can give about the plan, places to see, routes to take, issues crossing borders (One English, One Italian citizen), advice on camping.. Anything really! I have no idea where to start!

Looking forward to reading any advice and replies.

Cheers,
    B.

Make sure you will be allowed to take the rental car into Canada. Border procedures should be straightforward as long as both of you have the necessary documentation to be allowed in both countries, with a re-entry into the US (visas, etc).

Default Keeping it Sane

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Two pieces of advice to start with. First, I'd skip Chicago on this trip. Just doing a loop around the other cities you've listed will take 3-4 days of driving, which is plenty in a 2 week trip. That would leave you lots of time to wander the back roads, spend time in any place you enjoy, etc. Adding Chicago would add nearly 800 miles or two more days to your driving without adding anything significantly different than you can experience on the rest of your trip, so I'd suggest spending your time out of the car. Second, go from Toronto to Washington by way of Niagara Falls and go through Philadelphia on the way from Washington to New York. Check out the links I posted for a trip very similar to yours today. That should give you a good idea of some of what's available to you in that general area.

AZBuck

4. Default Boston - LA in 20 days?

Hi all,
    Love the forum!
    Me and a mate want to drive coast to coast, but have never been to USA and even with google maps, just don't understand the feasability of our idea. Any help would be great.

So we are thinking
    Arrive Boston
    Drive to Maine (to see a friend and collect camping gear)
    From Maine to Vermont (there is a big national park, forget its name!)
    Vermont to niagara Falls
    Niagara Falls to Chicago (i know its long, but we can take two days to get there, thoughts?)

From there, we get stuck... where to next? is it possible to see Yosemite, Yellow stone. We both like avoiding cities and getting back to nature as much as possible, but for the amount of googling i am doing i am getting very downhearted about what we can do!

please , if you can offer advice, would be greatly appreciated. We have basically from the 1st - 21 august

cheers!
    B
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-06-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Please do not start new threads for the same trip.

20 days is plenty of time to drive from coast to coast and see quite a few sights. A tip when you are mapping out your routes - don't try to drive more than 550 miles a day on Interstates, less on other roads. Add 20% to Google's predicted drive times.

Get yourself a good set of paper maps, those will give you a better picture of what there is to see where. It gives you a better perspective than a computer screen. You could order something like a Rand McNally Road Atlas.

Default Kindergarten

I don't know if that's what you call it, but the best advice I can give you is to go back to the schooling of your earliest childhood and get out your coloring book and crayons, or on this case a good map of the U.S. and some markers. Sit down with your friend over a pint (or two) and just start marking all the places you'd like to see. Three weeks is enough time to see quite a bit (but by no means all) of this country. What you'll be able to get to depends on how much time you spend in the northeast, which of the three or four possible cross-country routes you choose (or combinations thereof), and most importantly what appeals to you. So, as I say, start marking up the places you want to see and determine which fall more or less in some reasonable line from Chicago to Los Angeles, and then start connecting the dots. If you really want to take some time at your intermediate destinations, then plan on around 400-500 miles a day. That would leave 3-4 hours each day at a major stop plus an occasional shorter time out from driving. Once you've found some general itinerary that fits within those constraints and suits you, we can help you fine tune it, but you'll have to come up with the basic outline first. And actually, that's one of my favorite parts of RoadTrip planning, where everything is still possible.

AZBuck

7. Default Try NPS.gov

If you are planning to camp, go to www.NPS.gov and look for some national parks along the route you are planning. If it fits your travel plan purchase NPS member card the first day of going to national Park, this will save you money down the line when entering the parks operated by NPS. My basic calculation is a day 24 - 10 hours for things I have to do (sleep, eat, clean, etc) gives me 14 hours to see things and move from place to place. so if you are going from city to city with two driver you can do 12 hours which should cover around 600 miles. One thing in North East Coast, Md, DE, PA, NJ, NY there are tons of toll roads and bridge/tunnels. From Boston to DC back to Boston will cost you easy $60 in toll when staying on Interstate.