Default Fall Texas to West Virginia Road Trip

I am planning a road trip from the Texas Coast to West Virginia. I have heard stories about a beautiful trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains. Any comments or tips for us?

Default Several Great Roads

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

There are actually several great scenic roads between thee coast of Texas and West Virginia. You should first look at following the coast to Louisiana and maybe exploring the Creole Nature Trail in the southwest part of that state. Then cut up to Natchez, MS and follow the Natchez Trace Parkway up to Nashville. From there, I-40 to Knoxville will get you to US-441 through Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Asheville, NC. Finally, the road you asked about is the Blue Ridge Parkway along the spine of the Appalachians. Now, if you used all those roads instead of just using the most efficient Interstate route to your destination, you'd probably need an extra day or two for the drive, but it would be one to remember.

AZBuck

Default John Denver was a great songwriter, but was no geographer

Quote Originally Posted by NanaB View Post
    I am planning a road trip from the Texas Coast to West Virginia. I have heard stories about a beautiful trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains. Any comments or tips for us?
    Hello Nana B,
    I mention this with tongue firmly in cheek: The Blue Ridge Mountains only faintly touch WV, at Harpers Ferry.

Seriously, AZBuck's pointers are dead on-target. Do be aware of the great length of the combined Blue Ridge Parkway + Skyline Drive. The BRP runs 470 miles from Cherokee, NC to Rockfish Gap, VA, and the SD then runs another 105 miles north of there, to near Front Royal, VA. Nowhere are the posted (and heavily enforced) speed limits any greater than 45 mph and many segments carry 35 mph posted limits. The BRP + SD are wonderful routes from which to enjoy the mountains, but travel is very slow. From around Roanoke, VA or so, I-81 is never more than a couple of handsful of miles to the west, and US 29 parallels not far to the east, so it's always possible to jump-off and on to the BRP or SD when faster travel is in order.

One other thought: Autumn is a beautiful time to enjoy the BRP and SD, but you will have company up there! The "peak" weeks for leaves turning will bring large crowds throughout the corridors of each parkway. Travel becomes very, very slow then.

I very much like the suggestion of the Natchez Trace. It's probably one of the more under-appreciated drives in the country.

Have fun planning and taking your RoadTrip!

Foy
    Last edited by Foy; 06-23-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Autumn traffic notes

Thanks so much for the great information. This gives me much to think about and research. We did the Great River Road from Baton Rouge to New Orleans a few years back. We stayed on the grounds of the historic Oak Alley Plantation for several days, making day trips to about 6 other plantations in the area. Our favorite was Laura Plantation in Vacherie. My husband is originally from South Louisiana, but had never seen these historical sites.
    Thanks again!