Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Toronto/Chicago TO Vegas/LA

Hi guys,

Love the forum, love the advices...did a little searching around but could not find the exact route for my trip.

My girlfriend and I are tired of doing the all-inclusive trip to Mexico every year and want to do something new like a American RoadTrip!

-We only have 9 days (friday till next sunday)
    -Would like to get best bang for buck!
    -Willing to drive both ways for fly one way.
    -Could rent a car or drive my own.

So my questions are:

1. Best route to take from Toronto to Vegas first, then would like to drive around California and see LA, San Franciso, San Jose (if worth seeing), San Deigo (if worth seeing), Sacramento (if worth seeing) and other cities you guys might see worth while.

I was thinking of stoping the first night in Chicago, spend second night in Kansas City, spend third night in Denver, spend 4th and 5th night in Vegas, spend 6th and 7th night traveling around California, then spend the last 2 days driving back.

2. Alternative way is to fly from Toronto to Vancouver, then drive south to California and Vegas, the drive back and fly home. Would this be cheaper and as good as option 1??

What is the best route and what are the bes cities to stop and see if you only have 9 days? Should we fly any of the ways?

We would like to see as much as we could, do some shoping, be able to enjoy night life on a few of the nights (not all).

Thank you for any direction and thoughts.

Default Too Far to Be Fun

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Toronto to Las Vegas is 2255 miles. That's a solid 4 day drive even without any stops to enjoy any of the sites you'll be passing. So with only 9 days, you'd be spending 8 of them just getting to Las Vegas and back. Even if you flew one way, spent only a day in Las Vegas and then tried to see all the cities you've listed in California (2 more days of driving), you'd get to spend less than a day in each. What makes a lot more sense is to fly to any of the cities on your list, say whichever one you can get the cheapest round trip ticket to, rent a car there, and take a make a circuit of the area.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks AZBuck,

OK...after using google map for driving times, you are right.

What about this:

10 days now, Leaving Friday 3am, go the Chicago, spend Friday night in Chicago, then drive down to New Orleans. Spend Saturday night and Sunday night in New Orleans (if worth staying that much time), then drive thru Dallas, stay a night in albuquerque if required, continue driving to Las Vagas, spend 2 days in Vagas, then drive to California, spend the rest of the days driving around California and fly back to Toronto Sunday evening to be back to work on Monday.

Is this a better idea?

Or Should I take another quicker route to Las Vegas and skip out on New Orleans.

I would like to see the best of US with the 10 days given and will fly one way. Would like to see California and Vegas...the rest I do not know what is worth seeing on the way to the west coast.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-22-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Quote of entire previous post removed.

Default No

The alternative you've described (including realistic driving times and the number of days you plan to stay in various cities along the way) would need ten days just to get to California. So it's no better than the first proposal. I stand by my original recommendation that you simply fly to the west and do your RoadTrip there. For reference, you should not plan on driving more than about 550 miles a day. For comparison, you assume you can drive nearly twice that, 900 miles, from Chicago to New Orleans and then be ready to enjoy that city. Your planning needs a healthy dose of reality at some point. It's not there yet.

AZBuck

Default not a chance

Sorry, but there is no way that you can drive from Chicago to NOLA in one day. Its nearly 1000 miles and you're looking at a 20 hour drive. Throw in your very foolish plan to try an leave at 3am the day before to make it Chicago and not only would you not have a fun trip, but you'd be a potentially lethal weapon on the highway.

Your plan to drive from NOLA to Albq in one day is even longer and even more reckless. You'd physically need more than 24 hours just to cover the miles.

Simply put, 1000 miles is two long days on the road. Not one. You need to rethink any plans you have with that in mind.

6. Default

You guys are right...I dont know what I was thinking. I just thought I could do it as Ive driven from LA to Dallas straight with no sleep. I know that was wrong and not fun at all. Took a day of sleep just to feel normal.

OK...what about flying to Vancouver and driving down west coast?

Or is it cheaper to fly to Vegas and rent a car to drive to California?

Thanks for the input guys.

Default cheaper

I'd say flying into Vegas is likely going to be the cheaper option, especially because of the car rental.

Generally, you can't do a one way rental from Canada and drop in the US, so you'd either have to do a round trip or find other transportation to Waashington State and rent a car there.

Of course, a round trip is going to be cheaper with airfare, and car rental in general, and if you did a trip to Vegas, it would be very easy to do a loop. Also, if you still did a one way trip from Vegas, since there is so much traffic between Vegas and California, the drop off fee for a car rental is usually quite low and sometimes waived altogether.

8. Default

Thanks...Yes after looking at some prices, it looks like I can get a round trip via AA from Toronto to Vagas for $450 a person. Vancouver round trip is $130 more per person.

So is flying to Vegas and touring California and Nevada more fun and enjoyable then lets say doing a road trip, on the east coast (NYC, MYRTLE Beach, Florida)??
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-23-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Quote of entire previous post removed.

Default approach

A roadtrip is as much about your state of mind as much as the destination. If you've enjoyed doing a roadtrip on the east coast, you'll probably enjoy it on the west coast, and you'll certainly see differerent thing depending upon where you go. But, no, I certainly would not say that either coast is necessarily more enjoyable than the other.

If you fly out of Buffalo instead of Toronto (Pearson), you could shave off another 50% of your air fare per person.

Also, as for the east cost, if you go all the way to Florida, you should know that it is the hurricane season. From what I have read, the weather is most active in August and Sept. Hopefully someone else can also comment on this.