Default Philadelphia to California

I have 12 days to road trip from Philadelphia to California. Has anyone taken this trip? Is it possible? We were thinking of stopping in Chicago and taking Rte. 66. We want to see the Grand Canyon maybe Vegas and end in San Diego area. Does anyone have any suggestions of other places to see or stop instead? Or maybe a different route? Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default With That Much Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Twelve days is actually quit a nice time frame for a one way drive from Philadelphia to San Diego by way of Chicago. One thing you should understand, though. US-66 was decommissioned over 20 years ago after it had been completely superceded by three Interstates: I-55, I-44 and I-40. They're not particularly romantic, nostalgic or idyllic, and trying to follow the old US-66 asphalt, while technically feasible, would be a navigational challenge and a big time sink. I think you'd do far better to use I-80/I-76 to the Denver area and see Rocky Mountain National Park, then take I-70 (one of the most scenic Interstates of all) through the Rockies to US-191 south to Arches National Park and on to US-163 through Monument Valley to the Grand Canyon. From there I-40 and US-93 would take you to Las Vegas and I-15 would complete your journey to San Diego

Default Good idea!

Thanks so much for your reply and the info about Rte. 66! I've read that about Rte. 66 but there are also so many travel books about that road that make it seem like it would be a nice trip with cool places to stop. We may just pass on that though! I really appreciate your suggestions! I'll look into them! Thanks again :)

Default What if...

I may not be able to drive one way and fly back. Do you think it's possible to get there and back in that same time frame? We'd like to make stops on the way there, spend a couple days and then take the straightest route back home only stopping to sleep/break. This is tough to plan out!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default a big difference

Even traveling the most direct route, you're looking at a solid 5 days one way, so the difference between a one way trip and a round trip with your timeframe is a huge one. Even if you drive direct both ways, you'd barely have a "couple days" in California. I really don't think it sounds like that is the kind of trip you are looking for, and I'd recommend changing your plans and visit a destination a bit closer.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your input! I'll have to work out the kinks as far as vacation days or even a different destination and holding off on California for next year! I really appreciate your time! This is a great site! Thanks again!

Joplin MO

You can do the West in 12 days if you fly to someplace like Denver, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Las Vegas, or a California city and rent a car to do a "loop" trip.