1. Default One week from Denver - Sept.

I was scheduled for a conference in Denver the first week in Sept., bought non-refundable air tickets, conference cancelled. Thought I'd go anyway, rent a car, go north to places I've never been like the Black Hills, Devil's Tower, etc. I probably wouldn't have picked this week for a trip, but that's what I have, so I want to make the most of it. I'd welcome information on routes, lodging, likely weather, places to eat, places not to miss, and all the other things that the folks here know about this area that I don't. I wouldn't dare call myself a photographer, but I like to take pictures, mostly of scenery. Would reservations for lodgings be necessary, or can I count on finding a place to stay wherever I am at the end of a day?

I'm starting to get excited!

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Tucson, AZ

Default Way to Make Lemonade!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Depending on how much driving you want to do during your week on the road, you can construct quite a nice little loop through the northern Rockies and High Plains. What I'd suggest is looking at something like starting with Rocky Mountain National Park then head west on US-40 through the Rockies to Dinosaur National Monument. From there turn north on US-191/US-189 to Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park. Next up would be the drive east on I-90 past Little Bighorn National Battlefield and Devils Tower National Monument before arriving in the Black Hills with highlights including Mount Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Memorial, Badlands National Park, and Wind and Jewel Caves. That may be a bit much to do in just a week since it would entail three and a half days or so of driving, but you can pick just a subset of all that that suits you. The one fly in the ointment is that it might be getting kind of late to find accommodations near some of the more popular attractions, so while I can't recommend any particular hotels, you should probably decide on what you want to do fairly soon and start checking out what's still available.