1. Default One way road trip from Dallas to Berkeley

I am moving from Dallas to Berkeley in mid-August. I will be traveling relatively light - 16 year old daughter and 40 lb dog in my Honda Civic (compared to all the trips in the mini-van with 4 kids and 1 or 2 dogs). I had driven all over the Southeast and a good portion of the mid-west, but have never driven farther west than the Davis Mountains in west Texas. So, I am looking for suggestions as to routes (driving across NM & AZ in August sounds really hot) as well as some ideas of what I should take the time to see. I would like to get there in 3-4 days, but can take as long as a week.

Thanks in advance for the ideas!

South of England.

Default Take a look around.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There really are a lot of options and a lot of those will come down to your final decision on time and what your interests are.
    If I could take a week and enjoy the sights I would , and my preferred choice would be I-40 through Albuquerque where you could take side trips to Acomba pueblo, [sky city] Petrified forest and the Grand canyon to name a few. From there I would either cross the Hoover dam to Vegas and cross Death valley [but that's gonna be hot !] or continue to Barstow and 58/395 North to Lee vining and across the Tioga pass [120] into Yosemite.
    Of course you might want to continue on and pick up the Pacific coast highway and drive Big Sur etc, it could be done in 4 long days. Have a good look around the forums, using the search button for ideas, and the road trip planning pages. Once you have an idea of what you would like to see and how long you wish to do it in I am sure we will be able to help you piece it together.

Joplin MO

If you have to set priorities, I'd leave the sights in California for later. Being that you are moving there, you should be able to take them all in on weekend trips. I'd recommend doing the Grand Canyon and/or Southern Utah tour this time across.