Default Trip from East USA to West

Hey I'm new here. Ive been looking all over for a trip planner going across the southwest USA and route 66. I'll be starting from Tennessee and I want to see these destinations:
    -San Antonio
    -The Grand Canyon and the canyons in New Mexico
    -Las Vegas
    -Salt Lake City
    -The Rockies (is denver and colorado springs worth a visit?)
    -St. Louis
    I'm planning on taking the south route through Louisiana and Texas and coming back the north route. It will be me and 1-2 other people. Should I get an rv or rent a vehicle. What are some ways to save on cash. Any special places to stay at if take a vehicle. Any amazing restaurants. Also, from destination to destination it'll be like 8 hour rides so what are some things I could do or places I could see that would take a lil bit out of the long trip from destination to destination. All help is greatly appreciated.

Default cost effective

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Renting an RV is almost always going to be a more expensive option than traveling by car and staying in motels. The costs of extra fuel, RV campground fees, and the extra cost of renting the RV itself will generally be quite a bit more. That doesn't mean its not a good option, but it is one that should be consider as a lifestyle choice to travel the way you want to , not for budget reasons.

Otherwise it seems like you are a bit scattered on your plan at this point. How much time do you have for this trip? I can assure you, almost all of the destinations you've listed so far are more than 8 hours apart - and in some cases much more than that. I really think you need to just get out your map and plot out a general trip plan just so you get a feel for where you'll be going and what some of your options will be.

3. Default San Antonio

I would recommend staying on/near the RiverWalk in downtown San Antonio. You can usually get pretty good online hotel deals ($60-90/night). As far as restaurants go - one of my favorite Mexican Restaurants is Casa del Rio - right on the RiverWalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Otherwise it seems like you are a bit scattered on your plan at this point. How much time do you have for this trip? I can assure you, almost all of the destinations you've listed so far are more than 8 hours apart - and in some cases much more than that. I really think you need to just get out your map and plot out a general trip plan just so you get a feel for where you'll be going and what some of your options will be.
    Yes this trip is still in the works and wont take place for a while, but it will be a long trip once we take it. Ive only been out west a couple times though and dont remember much about it so Ive really been wanting to go out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mfmcafee View Post
    I would recommend staying on/near the RiverWalk in downtown San Antonio. You can usually get pretty good online hotel deals ($60-90/night). As far as restaurants go - one of my favorite Mexican Restaurants is Casa del Rio - right on the RiverWalk.
    I love mexican food, thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    -The Grand Canyon and the canyons in New Mexico
    Outlaw, did you mean “caverns in New Mexico”?

I love mexican food, thanks for the tip.
    This website has a lot of good information about restaurants in New Mexico, and you can see where some of my favorite places in Albuquerque are located here.