Default Vegas - Grand Canyon - LA - Vegas

Hi everyone,

First, fantastic site and congrats to the owners and all posters!

Perhaps someone could help me out.. we are about to make a trip to Vegas (flying in from Costa Rica where we live) and will then be renting a car to make the following road trip..

We will be in Vegas for 2 or 3 nights then have 3 or 4 nights for the following..

We want to visit the Grand Canyon along with LA (Hollywood) and then the San Diego Zoo.. we have to fly in and out of Vegas (due to flight costs as there is myself, wife and sister in-law) and I know I could do the drive down to the Grand Canyon then back same route to Vegas then to LA then back again to Vegas but does anyone have suggestions as to a route that would not have me drive the same way to LA and back?

I looked at going Vegas to Grand Canyon through to Sedona and up to San Diego then on to LA.. good/bad/suggestions?

Thanks everyone, this will be my wife and sister-in laws first trip outside of Costa Rica nevermind road trip so wanting to make it as enjoyable as possible for them :)

Default Why not a loop?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieInCR View Post
    First, fantastic site
    Thanks and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We want to visit the Grand Canyon along with LA (Hollywood) and then the San Diego Zoo.. we have to fly in and out of Vegas
    OK, so why don't you just drive:
    Las Vegas to Los Angeles & Hollywood (here are some tips)
    Los Angeles to San Diego (here are some more ideas)
    San Diego to the Grand Canyon
    Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

You'd never repeat any of the highways that way (or very limited stretches of them).
    I looked at going Vegas to Grand Canyon through to Sedona and up to San Diego then on to LA.. good/bad/suggestions?
    You don't really have enough time to go to Sedona too.

Mark

3. Default Might be too much...

Welcome to the RTA forum. I'm excited for all of you for what should be a beautiful and entertaining trip.

I think you might be biting off more than you can chew though, driving-wise. The mileage to Grand Canyon's north rim (the closer one) is a deceptively slow 250-275 miles. It's more of a 7 to 8 hour drive which will leave you limited time at the Grand Canyon unless you're planning to stay in the immediate area (which tends to be expensive and it's tough to find vacancies this time of year). I suggest that you decide between natural areas like the Grand Canyon and Sedona (and let me suggest southern Utah if you decide to go that route...Bryce Canyon National Park and Utah State Route 12 are out of this world!) and the ideas you have for the California coast. Los Angeles and San Diego are beautiful, but it would be difficult to enjoy them in less than 3-4 days by themselves. (Ask a SoCal local...you could sit in traffic for half a day going from place to place anywhere within the vicinity of LA or SD!)

No matter what you decide, enjoy and travel safely.

LDTL

Default Thanks!

Thanks Mark and LDTL for the welcome and quick responses.. in my original post I forgot to mention we will be doing this between 17th and 23rd July.

Trying to fit in both the amazing natural environment of the USA along with the man made madness of Vegas/Hollywood.

Mark, I actually had thought to do it in a loop like you suggested except the other way..Vegas..Grand Canyon..San Diego..LA..Vegas and I was using the Hertz NeverLost site to plan it out (will be renting from Hertz) before I came accross your site.

The time it states on there trip calculator is only 5 hours from Vegas to Grand Canyon - you know it to be a lot longer LDTL as 7-8.. is there holdups this time of year? I was planning to leave early am from Vegas and spend the day and one night there at the GC because as you say it's very booked up with the only hotels left starting at $150 a night :(

Then leave early morning for our trip (dont want to drive through the nite and miss the scenery (if there is any?) through to San Diego/LA - is that drive achievable in one day without going back the I95 (vegas/la highway)?

I'm thinking the best was is like you suggest Mark doing the loop.. are there any suggestions for the Grand Canyon - San Diego drive section?

Even though it's a quick trip, this will without a doubt hopefully be the trip of a lifetime for all of us - my sister-in law is only 16 and you can not believe how excited she is along with my wife.

Default South rim.

Hi Aussie,

The time it states on there trip calculator is only 5 hours from Vegas to Grand Canyon - you know it to be a lot longer LDTL as 7-8.. is there holdups this time of year?
    LDTL was referring to the North rim which is deceptively slow towards the latter part of the journey, but to do the loop Mark referred to you would head to the South rim across the Hoover dam to I-40. This should take in the region of 5-6 hours to cover depending on hold ups at the Dam, plus any time [if any] you want to spend at the Dam.

Then leave early morning for our trip (dont want to drive through the nite and miss the scenery (if there is any?) through to San Diego/LA - is that drive achievable in one day without going back the I95 (vegas/la highway)?
    You can do it in a day with around 10 hours or so of driving where you could head to Flagstaff and South on I-17 around Phoenix on 101/I-10 and south on AZ 85 to I-8.

We will be in Vegas for 2 or 3 nights then have 3 or 4 nights for the following..
    If you have decided that is what you are doing, I would definitely split this 2 and 4 nights as you have a lot of ground to cover and as LDTL pointed out once you hit the urban sprawl it will be slow going