Default Seattle - Florida, next week.

Hello all,

I am helping a dear friend move back from Seattle to the Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida next week. I will be flying up to Seattle and then driving back with her.

The default route on all the mapquests, etc is to take I-90, but we've decided to take I-84 down to I-80 instead. Has anyone taken this route across the country?

We are somewhat short on time, so it's not going to be a sight-seeing trip necessarily... the portion I'd like the most advice on is from Utah to... Lincoln, NE really.

Any advice would be helpful! We will not be towing, but we will have a very playful domestic cat with us.

Joplin MO

My mapping program shows this as the fastest route:

I-90/I-82/I-84/I-80/NE-2(at Lincoln)/I-29/I-435 around NE side of KC/I-70/I-270 around the N side of STL/I-255/I-64/I-57/I-24/I-75. This is 3122 miles, you should allow 6 days.

Suggested overnight stops for 6 equal driving days:

Boise/Mountain Home/Twin Falls ID
    Rawlins WY
    Grand Island/Lincoln NE
    St Louis MO/O'Fallon IL (Note - try to get past STL so you don't get caught in morning rush hour trying to leave)
    Kennesaw/Marietta GA (Note - same applies here- try to get past Atlanta)

If you are looking to minimize hotel expenses, Motel 6 allows one domestic pet at no additional charge. Other hotels have varying policies.

Tucson, AZ

Default Timing Between Utah and Lincoln

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As glc pointed out, you'll need at least 6 days to make this drive comfortably. If that's all the time you have available, then I-80 from Salt Lake City to Lincoln and beyond is really you're only choice. Even if time is limited, we still recommend occasional breaks from the monotony of driving, and besides the scenery of Wyoming, once out on the plains in Nebraska you'll be following the old Oregon Trail with plenty of opportunities for scenic, educational and refreshing breaks. If you have an extra day or so, then you can look at taking US-40 east from SLC with a stop at Dinosaur National Monument outside Vernal UT and then branching off on US-34 to drive through Rocky Mountain National Park before using I-76 to rejoin I-80.