Default Vancouver to San Diego (and Tijuana?) - MUSC

I have just stumbled across this site when surfing and find it quite brilliant, especially as we are in the process of planning a trip next year, as the title says from Vancouver to San Diego and then a short trip to Tijuana. MUSC = Mexico/US/Canada, though we have now reversed the actual order!

We plan to ship our cars from the UK to Seattle, three cars (so far) - Morgan Aero 8, Morgan AeroMax and a 1960's Mustang. We did something similar in 2004, when we shipped our Morgan Aero 8 to Chicago and then did Route 66 - a eally fascinating experience.

From Seattle we intend to visit Vancouver, and Victoria, before returning to the USA and heading south. We plan to take 6-weeks over the journey to San Diego, with a day-trip to Tijuana.

We would like to spend a week or so, in the Napa/Sonoma area, but apart from that we have no firm views on what we want to see (it's not our first visit!), but we want to drive Highway One again.

Any advise on routes or 'must see' places to visit would be appreciated. Also, if anyone can advise on exporting a British car to Canada, from Seattle, and then re-importing it to the USA we'd love to hear from them.

Best regards
    Brian

Default What is your budget for this adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
    We plan to ship our cars from the UK to Seattle, three cars (so far) - Morgan Aero 8, Morgan AeroMax and a 1960's Mustang. We did something similar in 2004
    This sounds like an amazing way to do a road trip -- albeit very, very expensive. The time frame is about right -- BUT DO NOT PLAN TO TAKE YOUR CARS TO TIJUANA. A perfect way to lose them. In fact, the border crossings at both ends are going to be "interesting" with British registrations -- oh and by the way, Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We would like to spend a week or so, in the Napa/Sonoma area, but apart from that we have no firm views on what we want to see (it's not our first visit!), but we want to drive Highway One again.
    Here's a field report that I think you'd enjoy -- it only covers a part of your planned route -- but you'll certainly appreciate the mode of conveyance used by this UK roadtripper.

Mark

Default One If by Land, Two if by Sea

Although you probably won't get the reference of this post's title, the fact remains that you are often going to have to choose between seeing the sights along the coast and those along the various mountain ranges such as the Cascades and Sierras somewhat inland. The best part of your trip, then, is that you have sufficient time to do both, cruise the coast for a while and then head inland to the great Mounts such as Ranier, St. Helens, Hood, Shasta and the rest. Some of the best tips on the northwest have been written by Judy, a native of the area, an some of the best tips on the California coast and mountains have been contributed by a number of members. These should give you some ideas of what's available, and we hope you add to the collective knowledge here when your done with your own discoveries. Just one more thing: Being of a 'certain age', when I went and looked for some images of your Morgans I was mildly disappointed to see that they no longer have any hint of their iconic leather hood (bonnet) strap.

AZBuck

Default Can I stow along????

After reading AZBuck's post, I looked up the photos for your cars, OMG. Now those would be some awesome vehicles for cruising in....

Mark

Default Our benchmark figure is circa $20,000.00

Thanks Mark and AZBuck for your very helpful comments and also the links. We are in the early stages of planning, and although we have done quite a bit of the route before, it is exactly this sort of insider information that we are looking for.

We do not have an actual budget yet Mark but working on our Route 66 experience, we figure that circa $20,000.00 should be sufficient, though we will put together a budget a little nearer the time. To insure the cars, and freight them (in containers) to the West Coast and back should cost about $4,000.00 from the quotes we are getting in. This leaves nearly $250.00 per day for accommodation and feeding, which should be sufficient, as spending money will be additional (lucky there's not much room in the car for extra clothe, shoes, etc!).

Last time we stopped in a mix of motels and then some much better hotels in the larger cities. Once we prepare a final budget, I'll post it up here and see if the cognoscenti can advise whether it is realistic.

Regarding Morgan's AZBuck, the Traditional models can still be ordered with bonnnet (hood) straps, but I don't really think they would look right on my AeroMax:

Once again, many thanks for your welcome and your help.

Best wishes
    Brian

Default Budget may need some upward tweaking

Given the luxury as represented by your vehicles of choice -- I would suggest that you budget closer to $375 (USD) per day, or a minimum of $300 per day. My rule of thumb is $100 per day, per person. Given the nature of possible repair visits for any of those vehicles on such a journey -- even a working budget of $375 per day might be on the low-side.

But, OH MY, those vehicles do look fine! Maybe you'll need to add a side-trip to Las Vegas so we can see them in person....?

Mark

Thanks Mark, that's very useful input. The last few times we've been to America the exchange rate has very much favoured Sterling, but now the Dollar is back to a much more realistic rate, and it seems we haven't adjusted yet! We are not adverse to stopping in Motel6's (or similar) for the occasional nights, so I guess $300.00 per night should cover for any expensive nights we have too. ;-)

The running gear of the cars is basic BMW V8 4.8 Litre, similar to the engine in the BMW X5, so not unduly complicated and there is a Morgan Dealer in LA that we know, and he has agreed to give us back-up though hopefully that arrangement won't be needed!

Lastly, we were planning to visit Las Vegas at the end of our tour for a few days, but the plan is to fly there and then fly back to the UK from there. So we will be sans cars, I'm afraid...

Nevertheless, it would be nice to meet you there.

Brian