1. Default Going From New York to California in 14 days

Hey all you roadtripsters,

3 friends and I are embarking on a cross country road trip in our uber cool honda pilot. We are starting in our home town New York City and finishing up in LA. At that point we are going to ship the car back to New York and fly home from LA.

We are planning on doing this trip in 14 days.

We are planning on taking the following route:

New York to Baltimore
    Baltimore to Nashville (gonna do some spelunking)
    Nashville up to Memphis
    Memphis to Chicago
    From there follow Route 66 to Yosemite, the Utah Saltflats,
    Head to San Fran
    Route 1 down to LA

Does this trip make any sense? Is there a better way to do it, are we missing out on anything great by doing it this way?!!?

All input is helpful, thanks a bunch

Default Is money unlimited in this adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Daergar View Post
    3 friends and I are embarking on a cross country road trip in our uber cool honda pilot. We are starting in our home town New York City and finishing up in LA. At that point we are going to ship the car back to New York and fly home from LA.
    Hands down, this method is unique (I think) on this Forum. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    From there follow Route 66 to Yosemite, the Utah Saltflats,
    Route 66 doesn't go to either Yosemite or the Utah salt flats -- Were you thinking of the Lincoln Highway perchance? Route 66 is a diagonal between Chicago and Los Angeles.

Mark

Default zigging

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A couple of things, First regarding Route 66. The old highway technically does not exist anymore, as it was decommissioned in the 80's. And while there are some sections of the highway that still exist, the old road never went near Utah or Yosemite. So, I'm not really sure what you're planning to do for a route there. I will also add that going from Memphis to Chicago and then back down through St. Louis, if you are following the path of old 66, means you'll basically be backtracking through the state of Illinois.

I will also say that 2 weeks isn't a whole lot of time for a trip that takes such a roundabout route. You're going to be looking at 4500-5000 miles, which would take about 9 days to cover just driving hard every day. If you want to explore the cities and parks you've mentioned, you're not going to have a ton of time. Its not impossible to do, but you're going to really have to keep moving every day.

4. Default

Money is unlimited to a point. We are not going to charter a private jet anywhere if you get my meaning.

Thanks for the clarification on Route 66 guys.

So if we wanted to go from Chicago, to Yosemite, the salt flats and then up to san fran, what would be the best way to do it.

Secondarily, once we are in Chicago would any of you suggest a better route to end up in California

Default Route 66

Oh, I'd definitely do it just for the nostalgia factor. You can find old parts of Route 66 to explore. Here are some resources that should be helpful.

You could leave I-40 which parallels old Route 66 at around the exit north through the Grand Canyon area or when you would turn off to go to Las Vegas and explore either of those on the way to the Salt Flats.

This is a bit of a zig-zag though. A more direct route would be getting to the Salt Falts from Chicago by traveling mainly I-70 or I-80.

Chicago to the salt flats is I-80 all the way.

7. Default

Daergar,
    14 days will be tight.
    What is the purpose of going from NYC down to Tennessee and back up to Chicago?

I would drive both ways and hit Tennessee and Baltimore on your way home.