Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default May 2010 west coast trip

Hi RoadTrippers, It's great to be here - the information and advice on this site are great. Keep up the good work!
    My wife and I are planning a trip in May next year to "celebrate" my big 4-0!. The plan would be to arrive in Las Vegas then leave from San Fran around two weeks later. If we start in LV for a couple of days then head out to the South Rim for an overnight, are we best to head back to LV for another night if we plan on going through Death Valley toward Yosemite? Is there a reasonable alternative (e.g. via Lone Pine)? I understand that some passes may still be closed in Yosemite. Still piecing together the itenerary so any advice or "must do's" for the trip appreciated. Sam.

Default Tioga pass.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You are correct in thinking that your route will be weather dependant due to the Tioga pass opening dates. No one can predict when this will be and it's something you might have to change on the go. If it is closed you will have to go around the Southern edge of the Sierra's through Bakersfield and Fresno and would not need to go back to Vegas providing you visited Death valley from Vegas beforehand.
    If Tioga is open then you would be better off going back to Vegas and across Death valley to Lone pine and head North to Lee vining, you could also do this option and head South if Tioga is closed and you wanted to do Death valley at this stage.
    A very good option would be to head North from Vegas on I-15 through St George and 9 to Zion NP and possibly Bryce canyon and then through Page to Grand canyon South rim and then back to Vegas by way of I-40 and over the Hoover dam which creates a fantastic loop.

This is a very popular and much discussed trip on the forums and you will find lots of info using the search button but here are a few of favorite threads.

The odds of Tioga Pass being open in May aren't that good.

You don't necessarily have to go back through LV to get from the GC to DV, but whatever way you go, it's going to be a full day's drive. I would probably take a different route for 2 reasons - different scenery, and avoid dam delays.

There are several ways to get into DV from the east - some involve going through LV, some don't, some will bring you in the east entrances, some will bring you in the west entrances. Ultimately, you have 4 choices - US-95 and NV-374, NV-160 and unnumbered roads, CA-127 and CA-190, and US-395 and CA-190.

Default 8 out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    The odds of Tioga Pass being open in May aren't that good.
    When the OP travels in May will be a crucial factor as actually 8 out of the last ten years it has opened in May.

You don't necessarily have to go back through LV to get from the GC to DV, but whatever way you go, it's going to be a full day's drive. I would probably take a different route for 2 reasons - different scenery, and avoid dam delays.
    I totally agree about taking different routes, hence the reason I suggested doing a loop through Zion to GC to Vegas, as it isn't a bad starting point to attractions such as Furnace creek and Badwater and onward across DV to Lone pine.

5. Default Thanks for the tips

Thank you for your replies - much appreciated.
    I'm thinking of last week in May through first week in June for the trip so may have a chance with Tioga.
    How accessible is it when first opened? No problem for a standard car?
    I like the idea of the loop through ZP to GC then over the Hoover Dam.
    How long would it take from Lone Pine to Yosemite if I had to go South through Bakersfield \ Fresno and would you recommend any particular place for a stopover or should I just keep going until I want to stop!

Thanks Again

Sam

Default No worries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_UK View Post
    The road will be snow free, and relatively dry -- No worries at all in any kind of motor vehicle conveyance.
    How long would it take from Lone Pine to Yosemite if I had to go South through Bakersfield \ Fresno and would you recommend any particular place for a stopover or should I just keep going until I want to stop!
    It would be a long day's journey. Lake Isabella is a nice stopover point.

Mark

Default Lone pine.

We travelled from Vegas, through Death valley and on to Lake Isabella area in one day quite comfortably, and that was in a 30ft RV. If you had to head South you wouldn't actually have to go to Lone pine,[although you might want to] you could stay on the 190 to Olancha and South on 395 or take the Trona Wildrose road [178] to Trona passing Ballarat and on to Ridgecrest and Lake Isabella/Kernville. If you had to go this route and you had the time you could also drive through the Sequoia NM or NP or both as you head towards Yosemite, they are very scenic but slow mountainous roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_UK View Post
    Thank you for your replies - much appreciated.
    I'm thinking of last week in May through first week in June for the trip so may have a chance with Tioga.
    I like the idea of the loop through ZP to GC then over the Hoover Dam.

Thanks Again

Sam

We stopped at Oakhurst which is a qaint little town 12 miles short of the entry gate to Yosemite. Great little town! Fantastic pizza too at a place called "Me and Eds" from memory?

9. Default Flights booked!

Thanks for all the information. Flights now booked so I may just be back for some more recommendations :-)

10. Default Yosemite early June - Where to stay?

I know accomodation in the park is hard to come by even at this stage for June 2010. I'm not sure if i'll be arriving from the South (if Tiaga is still closed) or from the East if it is open.
    Can anyone suggest reasonable places to stop that still give easy access to the park for a few days.
    Will be heading out Westwards to San Fran when we leave so thought about stopping outside first night then travel through park and stop just west going back in each day to explore?

Sam