Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Early Fall'09 road trip

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and am coming over from Singapore to California for our belated honeymoon and planning a 3 weeks road trip in early Sept to about end Sept .

I have obtained many great ideas from this forum but am confused on the time scale or great tips for those areas we planned to visit:

Los Angeles + Anaheim (Disneyland) (5 nights)
    Drive up the coast (think its called Big Sur, Monterey, Santa Barbara)
    Grand Canyon (2 nights?)
    Las Vegas (2 nights?)
    Death Valley (1 night)
    Bakersfield/Fresno (necessary??)
    Yosemite Park (1 night)
    Napa Valley / Wine County (1 night)
    San Francisco (3/4 nights)

PS: We can fly in either to LA or SF depending on which would be better route to drive

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated
    Thanks for your ideas!

Wilfred & Joey

I would fly in and out of LA. The best order would be a counter-clockwise trip - LA to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, Napa Valley, SF, then down the coast back to LA.

Thanks for your information.

Would 3 weeks be sufficient for the planned road trip or should add/remove others sights to fill in?

My wife was thinking of flying back home via SF so she can spend more time there. Please advise on what would be good route? SF-LA-SF?
    Last edited by skyjuse; 06-15-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: some ideas from my wife

Default Agreed.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

That's a nice trip you have planned !

Your trip would be best done in a complete loop as you want to see the GC, Yosemite and the coast it will save a lot of zig zagging from the coast inland and with 3 weeks you have enough time.

Bakersfield/Fresno (necessary??)
    I would suggest not. The most scenic and direct route from Death valley to Yosemite is to head North on the 395 to Lee vining and then West on Tioga pass [120] into Yosemite, it's a very scenic mountain pass and a big part of the Yosemite experience. Depending on the time you leave Death valley you could either stay between Bishop and Lee vining/Mono lake and head across the following morning or do it same day, but allow a few hours for all the scenic points along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Your trip would be best done in a complete loop as you want to see the GC, Yosemite and the coast it will save a lot of zig zagging from the coast inland and with 3 weeks you have enough time.
    Would the complete loop be:

SF
    Drive down the coast (think its called Big Sur, Monterey, Santa Barbara)
    Los Angeles + Anaheim (Disneyland) (5 nights)
    Grand Canyon (2 nights?)
    Las Vegas (2 nights?)
    Death Valley (1 night)
    Yosemite Park (1 night)
    Napa Valley / Wine County (1 night)
    San Francisco (3/4 nights)

Yes, that's the most efficient order.

Default Timing

The routings good !

The question mark regarding 2 nights at GC, I would say most definitely, YES. You have a long drive from LA and a 5-6 hour drive to Vegas so that would give you a day and a half to see the canyon area. You could spend both nights just outside if you wanted cheaper lodging options and recommend you go in one entrance and out the other [South and East] to get the best of the highlights.

The same can be said of Yosemite, one of my favorite parks. By the time you drive from Death valley and into Yosemite via Tioga pass and try and get to Napa the following day you are not going to have any quality time, and I would take a night from LA, SF or leave Napa this time, but that's me, it's your trip. But can you really miss out on views like this !

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    The routings good !

The question mark regarding 2 nights at GC, I would say most definitely, YES. You have a long drive from LA and a 5-6 hour drive to Vegas so that would give you a day and a half to see the canyon area. You could spend both nights just outside if you wanted cheaper lodging options and recommend you go in one entrance and out the other [South and East] to get the best of the highlights.
    Any recommendation for lodging? I saw on the net that there is this train option (Grand Canyon Railway). Is this good?

The same can be said of Yosemite, one of my favorite parks. By the time you drive from Death valley and into Yosemite via Tioga pass and try and get to Napa the following day you are not going to have any quality time, and I would take a night from LA, SF or leave Napa this time, but that's me, it's your trip. But can you really miss out on views like this !

The views are awesome! When you mention leave Napa this time, you meant leaving it out of the route? I can add in another 1 day in Yosemite as it's still within my 3 weeks plan.

Default Check them out.

Any recommendation for lodging? I saw on the net that there is this train option (Grand Canyon Railway). Is this good?
    For Grand canyon lodging go here to check out the deals. Outside of the park Tusayan is the nearest town but Flagstaff and Williams has cheaper options I am told, and the latter is where the train runs from. I have not been on the train but I would think it a nice experience for train lovers and at the South rim you can get the free shuttle buses between the village area and Hermits rest. North of Flagstaff on 89 is the Cameron trading post which is well situated for the East entrance along Desert view drive. I would do a little research and see if there are any special deals to be had.

The views are awesome! When you mention leave Napa this time, you meant leaving it out of the route? I can add in another 1 day in Yosemite as it's still within my 3weeks plan.
    It was just an option/suggestion to give you more time in Yosemite, but if you have the spare time to add to your Yosemite visit then great !

Staying close to GC (Tusayan, Cameron) is going to cost you at least 100 bucks a night. You do in fact have to go to Williams or Flagstaff to get a $50 room.