1. Default 14 Days in California...

Hi i'm new, what a wonderful site! My boyfriend and I are planning a two week trip in late september/early october, we've got so many great ideas and suggestions from this forum! :)

We are planning on flying into SF, staying 2 days to have a look around and get our bearings (were flying from Ireland), then picking up our RV and hitting the road!

We're a little confused on time scales though, there seems to be conflicting reports on what would be the right amount to see without having to rush.

Initially we had hoped to to drive down through Yosemite to Death Valley and on to Grand Canyon through Vegas (staying one night in Vegas only if even.)

Then across to San Diego for a couple of days including getting the trolley down to Tijuana for a day. Then up the PCH slowly taking in the sights along the way, another day and night in SF then fly home.

The last thing we want to do is rush through barely taking in what were seeing or spending all the time driving instead of exploring. Would we be better off leaving grand Canyon to another trip and doing a clockwise loop of California instead?

Apologies if this has been asked before, I searched and couldnt find it.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Claire & Rob

Tucson, AZ

Default 60 Pounds of Flour in a 50 Pound Bag

Céad Míle Fáilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You're looking at something over 2000 miles of driving at a minimum to cover the places you've listed. That's quite doable in 4 days, so even with spending the first two days in San Francisco you'll have at least some time to spend in Yosemite, Death Valley, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and the PCH. but you will have to budget your time, keep an eye on the calendar, and stay on schedule. And you probably have to drop something from your wish list if you want the trip to be relaxed and enjoyable. Is it worth it to drive to each of those places if you can only spend a day at each? Absolutely, in my humble opinion. If you can only spend a half day at each, Probably. The choice and what suits you, are up to you, but these are unique places you're going to and each is worth seeing. If it were up to me, the place that would be the first to get left off such a trip would be San Diego and Tijuana. Don't get me wrong, San Diego is a very nice city and I've vacationed in that area at least three times in recent years, but it is a city, it is a bit off your route, and I think the 2 days you are planning to spend there could be better spent elsewhere on your route. Tijuana, I suspect, would be a major disappointment, and is actually a bit dangerous at the moment with ongoing battles between competing drug gangs. To help you make up your mind, here are some of the best discussions of this general area.

3. Default A Céad Míle Fáilte...

... with the fadas in the right place and everything? Woop! :)

Thanks so much for the reply AZBuck, and the links, its very helpful.

We could drop Tijuana I guess, but we sort of have an ulterior motive for visiting San Diego. We're considering moving Stateside in the next year or two and really like the look of the city, we have three dogs and it seems very dog friendly!

One more question if you don't mind, how should we divide the trip do you think? like half and half coast and interior side or more time allowed for the coast? or is that a how long is a piece of string type question...

Thanks again for the reply, I'll have to get you a Guinness or three if you ever come to Dublin ;)

Tucson, AZ

Default Splitting Your Time

With the time you need to spend on the coast, 2 days each in San Francisco, San Diego, and on the PCH, I'd say that you're looking at half there and at most half inland. But the two halves will be somewhat different. I think that you can still drive from San Francisco through Yosemite and Death Valley, spend an evening in Las Vegas to experience it, and then see the Grand Canyon before continuing on to San Diego. But that inland portion of the trip is one where you're mostly going to be in motion, driving from place to place with only a few hours and overnights at various locations. Would such a mostly driving week still be worth it? Probably, but only you can really decide. Where you would get you time to relax would be on the coastal portion where you would be spending a couple of days in two major cities and two days making the incredibly beautiful (once you get north of Los Angeles) drive between them. One note on San Diego, the best place to go for a relaxing day is Balboa Park which not only has the zoo, but a number of great museums and gardens.

Oh, and I really appreciate the offer of a Guinness. I can get it here, but they serve it chilled (?!?) rather than at the proper temperature.