1. Default First Solo Road Trip in January '09

Hi everyone,

I'm going on my first solo road trip in January. I'll be going from San Diego, CA to Oklahoma City, OK. I've been to TX and OK in the winter time before but never have dealt with ice storms or anything like that. Does anyone have any tips and advice for this drive in January?

Thanks =)

Check the weather reports, forecasts, and road conditions before you leave before you decide on an exact route. Fastest route is I-8 to AZ-85 to I-10 to AZ-101 to I-17 to I-40. This is a 2.5 day drive, stopping in Holbrook AZ and Amarillo TX.

Potential problem areas:

I-8 in the mountains E of SD
    I-17 and I-40 near Flagstaff
    I-40 in TX and OK

The Flagstaff area can be avoided by staying on I-8 to I-10 to Deming NM, then NM-26 to I-25 to ABQ, then I-40. This would make your first stop Lordsburg NM.

Default worry about what you can control

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Certainly it is possible that you'll be dealing with winter weather, be it snow or ice, along this route while traveling in January. You should make sure you are ready to drive in winter conditions.

However, having said that, it is also quite likely, that the weather will be perfectly clear when you travel or even if there is a storm, you could completely miss the storm simply be changing your travel dates by a couple days. The point being, more than 6 months out from any trip, I wouldn't let the weather be my single biggest concern or focus point.

4. Default

Thank you guys! Everytime I've been to Oklahoma (everytime was winter), I've always missed the storms, and then it warmed up right after. Thanks for the tips!!

My luck ran out last winter - I went across the whole state of Oklahoma and Texas on I-40 in an ice storm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    My luck ran out last winter - I went across the whole state of Oklahoma and Texas on I-40 in an ice storm.
    Oh wow...do you have any tips for that? I'm glad you made it okay!

Best tip I can give you is find a hotel and wait it out till it stops and they get the roads cleared.