Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New York -> N. Orleans -> Panama City(FL) and back in two weeks?

New York -> N. Orleans -> Panama City(FL) and back in two weeks?

Hello guys, me and two of my friends are planning a two week trip to New Orleans, Panama City FL and then back along the coast. The total trip time should be no longer than about two weeks. Our main stop will be at Panama City to take in the beach for about 4-5 days and then return. We want to see local sights along the way (a stop over at Nashville along with other cities, a day at the most, two hrs at the least). We will begin the 26th and hopefully come back around the 10th of July. I think this should give us ample amount of time for various stop overs and sleep.

I want to ask:
    1) Is this completely feasible? Notable stops I want to make are, as I said, Nashville (Im not much of a fan of country music at all, but I am interested in seeing the city and the Parthenon there), a day stay at New Orleans (day and a half at the most), Washington DC (a day) and then small stops at local areas (I want to make a few stop sin Virginia, such as Jefferson's home at Monticello). We have no intention of making any stops in Alabama or Mississippi, but I would like to know if someone can point some notable sights in the Carolinas.

2) This is my first roadtrip... I have done others before, but I was younger and in the care of older people. This is going to be my friends and I's first real independent roadtrip as adults and naturally we are fillled with naive confidence. I would like to know what are something to bring with us, things for us to keep in mind while on the road, proper accommodations we should make prior to the trip and during it (we still have two weeks before we start it) and perhaps some expectations.

Those who have been in the various states we will be crossing to get to N. Orleans from NY and back, could you give me a few tips, sights to see, sights to avoid, etc. etc.

Thank you everyone.

Tucson, AZ

Default Plenty of Time, Plenty of Places

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With all your stops and detours, you're looking at over 3,000 miles. That's about 6 days of hard driving. It's up to you how and where to spend the other 8-10 days of your trip, but you'll certainly have enough time to spend a day or two at each of the major cities you've listed. If, indeed, you plan to spend most of your free time in the four major cities that you've listed, that's fine and there are still places to stop that will give you a chance to break up the long drives and get a feel for the country you're driving through. As for ideas of places to stop in each state, try these lists.

Default Best time of day to travel

Thank you.

Me and my friends are debating what time to set off and drive during the roadtrip.

What would you say is the best time of day to travel (drive) during a roadtrip?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default personal style

I don't think there is a possible answer for this type of question. If you are an early riser, then you certainly can take advantage of extra daylight by getting on the road early. But if getting up early detracts from your enjoyment, or if you like to stay up late while on the road, that's really not going to work either.

The only think I would say is that trying to avoid the period right at sunrise driving east and right at sundown going west can be helpful simply to avoid trying to compete with the sun for your view of the road. But thats really a very small window within the day.

Joplin MO

I personally prefer to drive only between sunrise and sunset - for a couple reasons. My night vision is nowhere near as good as it used to be, and you miss all the scenery at night. If I'm trying to pack on the miles on any particular day, I try to be on the road no later than 8am.

6. Default

I grew up in NOLA and lived in Nashville for 5 years. If you are able to make stops at either place, let me know and I can help you fit in the "must do's". However, if you can only make one of the two, then definitely NOLA is the best by far.

Tubedog, I would love it if you could give me some pointers since I will be spending some time in both cities. Ill be in Nashville only for 5-6 hrs while at NOLA for a day or so.

8. Default

I read that you want to see the Parthenon. It's pretty cool. Probably won't take more than 2 hours to see what you need to see. After that, head downtown to Broadway and have a drink in Tootsies and Legends. Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, etc. have played there in the past. That whole strip is very touristy. You should get your country fix there. Also on that street is the old Grand Ole Opry (now The Ryman Auditorium). The Country Music Hall of Fame is a block south of there if you want to see that. If you want to eat there, I recommend Big River Grille & Brewing (great food and beer). It's on the corner of Broadway and 2nd ave. However, if you really want to experience Nashville BBQ, definitely go to Neely's BBQ!! If you have the time, I also recommend going to the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. There are tons of shops and stores.....and just an incredible hotel. Check it out on-line!

New Orleans:

First of all, if you're experiencing NOLA for the 1st time, stay in a hotel in the French Quarter. You'll be able to walk to anything from there. Places to check out: Jackson Square, St. Louis Cathedral, French Market, Bourbon St., Riverfront. There are plenty of shops (especially for woman if you are) and art galleries to check out. Places you have to eat: of course check out Cafe' Du Monde for beignets and coffee. Palace Cafe' for dinner is fantastic; The Gumbo Shop is incredible. You have to get either the Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo or the Roasted Duck and Oyster Gumbo. I lived in NOLA for over 20 years and it's still the best gumbo I've ever had. Now for the best food you'll ever eat....Jacque-Imo's!!!!! It's not in the Quarter. It's on Oak St. off of Carrollton Blvd. You can take a street car down St. Charles Ave (Beautiful ride; scenery of homes, audubon park, Tulane & Loyola Universities). Do whatever you have to do to eat there. I promise you won't regret it. You have to try the Alligator Sausage and Shrimp Cheesecake appetizer. I know, just trust me on that one!!!

I hope that gets you started. Feel free to ask me any more questions you might have!!

Joplin MO

However, if you really want to experience Nashville BBQ, definitely go to Neely's BBQ!!
    What about Jack's?

Thank you very much tubedog, my friends and I are really looking forward to the eateries along the trip so Ill definitely remember the spots. And thank you for your other advice as well.

One more question, I don't know if you have been in NOLA for a while, but how does the city look since the Katrina?