1. Default SoCal to NY and I nutz???

School ended today - no work until September 1st!! And I'm wanting so badly to spend some more time with my Dad while I can. Flew back at Christmas, just long enough to make me want more time with him.

Been looking at airfares and the hassles involved in trying to leave from my local SoCal scareport and arrive at Westchester County Airport in White Plains...flying or, rather, dealing with airports with my "entourage" (see next paragraph) makes me crazy!

So last night I started thinking about why I should not just load up my disabled adult son, his seizure meds, his service dog, the wheelchair, and our stuff...and drive!! Heck, I've got the time off - 10 whole weeks. And I'd wait until after the 4th of July to go...don't want to miss the killer fireworks here.

I last drove cross country in 2001, doing I-10 from FL to CA. It was adrenaline and I loved it. Arrived on 9/10/01 - luckily having our feet planted when the horrors happened the following morning.

I haven't done the I-40 trip since the 70's, when I did it several times. I think I'd freak going thru the Smokies and Blue Ridge again...that's my favorite landscape, that and the Catskills, near where I was raised.

Anyhow, I just turned 61 ("dang, I got old fast") and need an adventure. And to see my dad before he forgets me.

Am I totally nuts? Should I just cough up the money and fly - rent a vehicle there, and fly back?

Somebody tell me what you think...I have lots of ideas, but right now, this is my major question...why should I not do this in our 2003, well-maintained Volvo wagon?

Thanks, and Blue Skies

Default Good for you! Enjoy! Have another Adventure!

I say... Go For It!!! I love the idea of a road trip across the entire country! I am not an expert, but I think it would be more expensive to drive rather than fly.
    Sounds like a great time to me!

Tony J Case, Super Genius Guest

Well, depending on how long you wanted to take, it would probably be more to drive. Figure 50-75 bucks a night lodging, 20 or 30 bucks a day for food and whatnot, 30 bucks a fill up times 10 tanks - this is just one way, mind you - you'll probably drop 500 bucks at the bare minimum for the whole trip.

Of course, how much of an adventure is it to fly. Booo-ring. So I say: drive!

Melbourne, Australia

If youo're nutz, then so must I be. Granted, I do not have the disabled son, but I do have quite a few years on you, and yes, I say - drive!!

Right now I am in Dawson City on my way to Alaska, I could have flown. But would I have felt the same sense of achievement? would I have had so many experiences and stories to tell?

Hit the road, enjoy the time with your father, and come back safely.

Lifey wishes you a happy and safe trip

5. Default @HeyLoosie

Go for it and good luck!

I'm doing the same thing and leaving in a few days.

SF Bay Area

Default Let this be your mantra

"Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it. "

qoute courtesy

I vote "do it".