1. Default San Diego to San Francisco, 7 days

Hello, six of us (3 adults in our late 30s, one 20yo, 7 and 12yo kids) are planning our 7 day road trip from San Diego to San Francisco this July. We are going to arrive to San Diego International on Tuesday, and will be leaving next Tuesday from San Francisco International Airport.

So far we want to dedicate one day to Legoland, at least one day to San Diego's nearby beaches (Silver Strand State beach?), La Jolla Cove and tidepools.

One or two days for San Francisco, including Muir Woods, Golden Gate, Chinatown, Lombard St.

Big Sur and Pfeiffer Beach

If possible - Yosemite, Los Angeles/Hollywood

I'm not sure if we'd have to take Hwy 1 all the way from San Diego to San Francisco or not. If we do - we'd probably want to stop somewhere in the middle between those two cities and sleep overnight. Can you recommend a place for us?

Is it doable? Is there anything that we are missing? Would appreciate your advice.

We'd need two rooms for every night, so if you can recommend some affordable hotels in both cities and along the way - I'd appreciate it too.

Thank you!

South of England.

Default Some links.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With a couple of days in SD and SF and a ride up the coast over 2 days your not really going to have time for Yosemite as it is an overnight stop and 2 days travelling and sight seeing from the coast. LA would be your obvious choice on the way up the coast. These threads are full of good info, Beach guide, SD to Carmel, [but in reverse] the scale of LA and some LA ideas. You will find much more by searching the forums and while in SF I would recommend taking a tour to Alcatraz Island, it's a great experience. The link is for the official operator and it's also recommended to book in advance.
    In SF, Lombard street offers reasonable lodging rates and some have free parking, which can get quite costly in the City centre.

3. Default

I was also thinking about taking East route on a way from SD to SF, instead of taking Hwy 1. This way we can get to Yosemite, then go down to BigSur and to SF.

Thank you for your suggesting Lombard St. hotels!

I'll try to post my itinerary later today.

Joplin MO

You can go inland on the way up and down the coast on the way back, but with only 7 days you need to plan carefully.