1. Default Chattanooga, TN to Steamboat Springs, CO

First time poster, new to the site. We are getting ready to take a trip from Chattanooga, TN to Steamboat Springs, TN. We are driving a 4 door Wrangler. Me, the wife, and daughters, 5 & 3 years old. Anything fun to see and/or great places to eat along the way?

It looks like this is a cool site with tons of information. I am just getting started here, so I haven't had a chance to read much. Thanks for the help!

Tucson, AZ

Default Got Time?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Let's see, you're looking at three days to make the drive with only minimal stops for gas, food and bathroom breaks, as well as a few chances for your girls to play a bit. That last is very important to a safe and sane trip, and will forestall the inevitable "Are we there yet?" chant. If you can add a day to the drive, then you can start taking some more leisurely, informative and enjoyable side trips. You could easily spend a day just in St. Louis riding to the top of the Arch, seeing the Museum of Westward Expansion beneath it, and going to the (free!) zoo.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default and at Steamboat....

One of my favorite developed hot springs is just outside Steamboat -- check out this article about Strawberry Park.

SF Bay Area

Default Rocky Mountain National Park

I'd vote to make sure your route takes you through RMNP, and over Trail Ridge Road.

With luck, there'll be some wildlife for the girls (almost certainly Elk and maybe Marmots up top, possibly sheep if you're lucky, and maybe a moose on the west side if you're really lucky).

Lots of scenery too.

Estest Park (at the eastern entrance to the park) used to (probably still does) have attractions for the younger set. I remember one afternoon at a private fishing pond (you pay by the inch for all fish caught) where my 6 and 9 year-olds almost bankrupted me in the space of 30 minutes. Those fish are HUNGRY. We exchanged them for pre-packed smoked trout.

Elk along Trail Ridge Road; Rocky Mountain National Park: Don Casey

Marmot in one of the viewpoints on Trail Ridge Road: Don Casey

5. Default Thanks!

Thanks for the good information! Enjoyed the Strawberry Park article and the post on the places to see along the interstate.

We are planning to take a full day in RMNP, leaving from our base in SS. I have been there and loved it and I definitely want the wife & kids to experience it as well.

I love good food, esp BBQ. Anyone know any good joints that might be close to our route? I know there has to be something good in St. Louis or Kansas City.

6. Default

Oh yeah, and if you know of any good day trips from Steamboat, like Strawberry Park, please let us know about that as well. We would love to maybe do a moderate (2-3) 4wd trail while we are out there too. It is a Wrangler, if we don't take it off road, we are just wasting it, right? :)

Joplin MO

BBQ in St. Louis? You bet - Super Smokers. I go to the one in Eureka every time through, but the one in St. Peters is a lot closer to I-70. I have only been to the one in Eureka. There is also an excellent BBQ joint in Loveland CO - Serious Texas BBQ. I have only been to the one in Durango.

Both these places are reasonably priced and very family friendly - nothing fancy at ALL - order at the counter and they bring it out to you on paper plates and trays.