1. Default Southwest USA trip

Hello everyone,

I am from Slovenia and me and my girlfriend are planning a trip around Southwest USA. I am starting in Los Angeles, going to Palm springs-Joshua tree park-Scottsdale-Montezuma castle-Meteor crater-Flagstaff-Grand Canyon- Lake Powell-Monument Valley-Bryce Canyon- Zion national park-Springdale- Las Vegas-Death Valley-Yosemite national park-San Francisco-Monterrey-Los Angeles.

I would like to know how much time is need to see some of these national parks and attractions....Joshua tree park, Montezuma castle, Grand canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite national park.

What do you suggest to view in Los Angeles, San Francisco,...do you suggest any other sightseeing on that circle round?

Where is the best deal to hire a car? I was looking at holiday cars, and i think that they have good prices, am I wrong?:)

...thank you for all your help;)

Here is a link to my plan
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-10-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Preferred link format

Default A great trip !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

These places are well covered on the forums and road trip planning pages so you might get some better ideas to start with by using the search button and gathering info, but in answer a couple of your general questions;

I would like to know how much time is need to see some of these national parks and attractions....Joshua tree park, Montezuma castle, Grand canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite national park.
    I think you will have to research the parks a little more along with your time frame and decide how you want to spend your time in each place, as you could drive through in a few hours or you could spend a week or more in one place. I would recommend at least 2nights and a full day at each of Yosemite, Grand canyon and Zion if you have the time available. The NPS website will help you decide

What do you suggest to view in Los Angeles, San Francisco,...do you suggest any other sightseeing on that circle round?
    This will depend on your interests and again both are well documented and you will find lots of info available. While in SF the Alcatraz Island tours are very popular and worthwhile IMO. You will also find lots of info on the PCH route 1 between the two City's such as Big Sur and Hearst castle tours.

Where is the best deal to hire a car? I was looking at holiday cars, and i think that they have good prices, am I wrong?:)
    No such place. They are all competing in the same market and offering new deals all the time to attract new custom, all you can do is check out what offers are available for your requirements and price compare.

Once you have had a look around and start putting things into place, let us know along with how much time you have and we can certainly help you to piece the jigsaw together. Here are some of favorite threads covering the area that will start you off. Use the search button and tags at the bottom of the pages to lead you to many more topics.

3. Default

Thank you for your useful informations.

I made some rough plans...

1. day - We will come to Los Angeles at 18.00 pm...we have reserved a motel at Anaheim.

2. day - Time to see L.A, Hollywood,....

3. day - Disney land:)

4. day - Los Angeles aquarium and then to Palm springs

5. day - Joshua tree park and then to Scottsdale to see Rawhide, Scottsdale is also the place where we sleep

6. day - Montezuma castle, Meteor crater and final stop in Flagstaff

7. day - Grand Canyon - South rim - sleeping in Page

8. day - Monument Valley - Lake Powell

(is it possible that we see Monument Valley in the same day as Grand canyon and then come to Page where we sleep?)

9. day - Grand canyon-North Rim-Bryce canyon-Springdale

10.day - Zion - Las Vegas

11. day - Hoover dam, Red rock canyon - Las Vegas

12. day - Death Valley - ??? where is the best place to sleep so we can be near Yosemite national park....i was thinking about Mammoth lakes....
    But i don't know how much time will it takes to see Death valley...

13. day - Yosemite - San Francisco

14. day - San Francisco

15. day - Monterey

16. day - Big sur - Los angeles

17. day - Universal studios

Ok, that is our trip, do i need to add or maybe extend some time for certain viewings?

After that we are planing to go to Hawaii, for a week or maybe 10 days. I hope that it is enough time to see main attractions and to relax at the same time:) Are there any motel chains like hotel8, or motel6 or some other low budget motels?

Default bits and pieces

A couple things.

I'd skip the LA aquarium. If you want to spend time at one, visit the one in Monterey, which is one of the best in the world.

You're also underestimating a lot of your times and distances. There's no way you can do both the North Rim and Bryce much less make it to Springdale in the same day, for example. Its also not going to be possible to see the South Rim and Monument Valley in one day, without being very very rushed.

The same is pretty much true for Yosemite, trying to see the park in less than a half day would really be a shame. Staying in Mammoth is fine for a starting point, but trying to make it from there to San Francisco isn't going to leave much time to explore Yosemite at all.

I think you need to scale back those things a bit, but you are on the right track.

5. Default

Thank you for all your advices, i will add a few days to my trip so we wont be in a hurry all the time:)

And I will listen to your advice and rather go to see aquarium in Monterrey.

I have reserved a motel in Anaheim....is it wise to do the same thing for other places where we are going to sleep, or is it better that we find them day by day on the road....

One more thing.....according to our plan we arrive in Las Vegas on 4th of July, and prices for rooms are sky high at that time.....is it better to stay one more day in Page or Springdale, or is it worth to be in Las Vegas on 4th of July?:)

Las Vegas is probably one of the best places to be on the 4th of July - even if you stay out of town and just come in for the festivities.

7. Default

Hello everyone,

Greetings from Flagstaff;) So far our trip is going just perfect, we have seen many beautiful places her in US. I just have one question....where do you suggest to sleep if we want to see monument valley. We were looking for something cheap outside from Page, because prices are really high up there, but I didnt find anything. If someone know something cheap and nice:) let me know, thanx;)

Default Good luck.

Hi Jan great to hear from you !

Sorry I can't help with lodgings but Kayenta is an option or you could try the Cameron trading post and although not exactly cheap if you phoned ahead and they have empty rooms you might get a deal. Mexican hat might be a possibility.

Pleased you having a great time ! [It would be great to get updates from you when convenient].

This time of year, there really isn't anything "cheap" up there. Cameron is $109 a night. The only openings in Kayenta tonight are the Holiday Inn at $139, tomorrow the Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn are available at around the same price. Best Western is full both nights. The San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat is about $85, if they aren't full. Goulding's is $180. If you go all the way to Blanding UT, the rooms there are in the $60 to $90 range.