1. Default san fran to vegas - fear of heights!!

Planning a road trip from san fran to vegas in august over 2 days. What is the best route to take for someone with a fear of heights? Are the roads cliff edge and windy?? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

Pauline

Depending on where in SF you will be leaving from, take either the Bay Bridge (I-80) or the San Mateo Bridge (CA-92) across the bay, and take I-580 east to I-5. Take that south to CA-46, take that east to CA-99, take that south into Bakersfield and pick up CA-58 east. This will take you to I-15 in Barstow, take 15 to LV. This is the least mountainous way to do it. It can be driven in one day if you need to, figure about 10 hours. Any mountainous and winding sections will be multiple lane freeways with strong guard rails.

Default Six of one, half a dozen of another...

Similar to glc's but slightly more direct is this route, which I've used in the past. I've bolded where it differs from the previous:

"Depending on where in SF you will be leaving from, take either the Bay Bridge (I-80) or the San Mateo Bridge (CA-92) across the bay, and take I-580 east to I-5. Take that south to CA-223 (Bear Mountain Road), take that east to CA-58 east. This will take you to I-15 in Barstow, take 15 to LV. This is the least mountainous way to do it. It can be driven in one day if you need to, figure about 10 hours. Any mountainous and winding sections will be multiple lane freeways with strong guard rails."

This takes you farther down I5 before cutting over. It might be a little slower (more driving on two-lane CA223 than two-lane CA46), but if you want to simplify your directions this is as minimalist as you're going to get.

Default "Cliff edge"

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

If your aim is just to get from A to B then Interstate is your best bet. However you will be going around some of the most amazing scenery on offer, anywhere. It really is difficult to gauge the severity of someone Else's fear of heights but if you are picturing a sheer drop either side of the car and no barriers to protect you, you have nothing to worry about. The scenic route over 2 days would normally be through Yosemite which is mountainous and windy in places but hardly cliff edge. The first part of Tioga pass would probably be the worst part but it is a paved road which is walled on one side and on the other the mountain goes up not down. When you are over that part the road and surrounding meadows and lakes are at a similar level. You then could cross Death valley into Vegas which is another truly remarkable landscape.

Default Visual

Here's a shot of the downhill portion of Tioga Pass, as it descends into the Mono Lake area. You can see it on the far side of the valley. It is not very curvy.

CA120 heading down to Mono Lake/Lee Vining: Don Casey

Default Nice pic !

But that looks scarey !

Some pics from the road,

The narrow windy section from Yosemite.

Great scenery over the top

And heading out the other side of the park to Mono lake

I hope that and the other info will go some way to helping you decide what's best for you.

7. Default Great Help

Thanks so much for your help and the pictures! It is a great help, some of the routes look a bit scary from the pictures though! so will have to decide what to do. Sorry for the late reply to your posts, i was away for the last while. Will let ye know how I get on!