Default A remarkable - and historic - road trip

Exactly 100 years ago today (June 9th, 1909), 22-year old Alice Huyler Ramsey and three female companions set off west from New York City.

Forty one days and 3,800 days later, they arrived in San Francisco and Alice had become the first woman to drive a car from one side of America to another. Asked about her journey many years later, she said: "Good driving has nothing to do with sex. It's all above the collar."

And here's a young woman who, with the support of her father, is aiming to recreate Alice's journey.

I'm sure this centenary won't go unnoticed elsewhere but I just thought we at RTA should mark the occasion too!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vambo25 View Post
    Forty one days and 3,800 days later, they arrived in San Francisco ....."
    Shouldn't that be "Forty one days and 3,800 miles later"?

Hard to believe there was a time when women didn't drive at all, or that they didn't take cross-county road trips. Even in 2009, I got surprised looks from people on my just completed Route 66 road trip when I told them I was traveling alone. One Indian lady in New Mexico was so concerned she recited a check list to be sure I was okay: "Do you have AAA? A cell phone? Can you change a flat tire? Do you have an emergency kit in the car? You should have a blanket or two because it can get very cold up here." That sort of thing. She was so kind.

Thanks for the headsup. I'll look for her book. I'll bet it's a great read.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-17-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: removed the extra spaces

Default Good Catch on Peter's typo!

Yeah, none of us caught that little slip --so good work.

Here's another story that is pretty fun to read/listen to....
    ...It was 1903 when Horatio Nelson Jackson bet fifty dollars that he could drive his 20-horsepower Winton automobile from San Francisco to New York City... Horatio's Drive, by Dayton Duncan & Ken Burns.

Mark

Default Horatio's Drive

OK, I'll resist the temptation to attempt a weak and inappropriate joke that it took her 41 days to cross the continent and 3800 days to reverse park when she arrived (sorry!) ... and just apologize for my lazy typing.

RE. Horatio's Drive - I can thoroughly recommend the Ken Burns DVD too. And I really cannot wait for this: The National Parks: America's Best Idea.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Thody; 06-22-2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Added mention of new series

Default Ken Burns had carved a place

Quote Originally Posted by vambo25 View Post
    And I really cannot wait for this: The National Parks: America's Best Idea
    Peter, Yeah that sounds like a great film and book series -- I am looking forward to seeing it too.

Mark