1. Default Yosemite to Vegas Overnight

I hope I am doing this right, it's my first post :)
    I am doing a trip with girlfriends in August and am taking 2 weeks to go from LA to Vegas. We were thinking of driving from Yosemite to Vegas, and leaving late at night from Yosemite (like 11pm) so that we can get to Death Valley in time for sunrise.
    Questions are
    (1) Is it safe to drive on those roads (highway 395 to death valley) at night? Anything I should be concerned about? Or should I not do it?
    (2) How long will it take to get to Death Valley? 6 hours?
    All help is appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default shortsited

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Sorry to tell you, I think your plan is very short sighted and kind of foolish. First of all, traveling from Yosemite to Death Valley involves going over Tioga Pass, one of the most scenic roads in America. While it could be a bit more dangerous trying to travel that country at night (we are talking about a 2-lane mountain pass through some very remote territory), the bigger crime is driving it when you can't see anything.

I'll also say that 6 hours would be very optimistic, especially at night. I'd say 8-9 hours is more likely.

But really, traveling at night like this is just short sighted anyway. You'll drive through incredibly scenic territory that you won't be able to enjoy, you might get to death valley in time to see the sunrise, but then you'll need to sleep when you should taking time to enjoy the many sites of Death Valley!

I agree. Stay the night in Yosemite, get up early and travel the Tioga pass. Stop for breakfast at Lee Vining. Take a trip to Mono Lake and then head for Lone Pine. It's a charming little town, with a nice restaurant. Stay at the Dow Villa Motel and then get up early for sunrise in Death Valley. Allow about two hours for this part of the trip. Drive about a mile past Stovepipe Wells (Elevation 5 feet) and visit the Dunes. ON NO ACCOUNT SHOULD YOU MISS THE DETOUR UP TO DANTE'S VIEW ON YOUR WAY TO VEGAS!

Joplin MO

With 2 weeks to do the trip, it doesn't make any sense to drive at night and miss the scenery. You don't have to be in a hurry to get anywhere, enjoy your trip, use the nighttime hours to unwind and sleep!