1. Default L.A. to WA state in 3 days

Hello,
    I need some suggestions for our trip home from visiting family in CA. We are doing the straight shot down (with 4 drivers it should be "easy"), and visiting for 10 days. On the way back (with one less driver), we know we'll be tired from all the fun and wanted to give ourselves a little bit of a break.
    We were thinking to stop somewhere around (not in--too pricey) San Francisco, and then in Southern Oregon. We'd like to go the coast for some of the way leaving out of San Bernardino County. I know the coast can take much longer, so we don't want to stay on it the whole time. The 4 kids we are traveling with range in age from 7-16, so any suggestions of things to see that might be fun for them would be great, too. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by trickysticks; 06-07-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added periods to LA to avoid confusion with Louisiana

Default First things first.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I need some suggestions for our trip home from visiting family in CA. We are doing the straight shot down (with 4 drivers it should be "easy"),
    Big mistake ! 18 hours or so in any vehicle with only time for short stops for Gas and food is not going to be easy, and safety becomes an issue, no matter how many drivers.

The 4 kids we are traveling with range in age from 7-16,
    It'll be even tougher with [and on] the kids. I would take a night on the way down, it will save everyone being cranky when you arrive and a lot safer.

I know the coast can take much longer, so we don't want to stay on it the whole time.
    Your 3 days home are going to be busy and as you rightly say won't be able to stick to the coast but maybe the Redwoods on the Cal coast would be a good option, possibly stopping at Monterey/Carmel on the way.

3. Default

We have done this trip a few times before. We have 2 drivers who are night owls and are able to sleep in the car during the day when the non-night owls are driving. We get there early in the day(because we leave early) and spend the day re-cooperating at Grandma's. Thank you for the safety concerns. We know from experience that the night in the hotel is fitful sleep at best, especially when everyone just wants to get to Grandma's! We can stop at a rest stop if we do need some sleep. We have a 15 passenger van, so plenty of room to rest compared to a small car or minivan.
    So on the way back, we wanted to split up the trip into thirds. 8-9 hours on the road for 3 days. Going back on I-5 only is really boring, so we thought we would break it up with some time on the southern coast in CA. Where is a good place to stay just south or north of San Francisco? And then back to the 5 in Southern Oregon for the most direct route home on the last day?