1. Default Parking in New York City

I am going to visit NYC this summer and I am staying at a campground about 45 mins - one hour north of the city. Anyone that has visited NYC, should i drive into the city and find a parking garage or should i park out of the city and take a cab in... or the subway...what are the recommendations? i don't have the nicest car but i don't want anything to happen at all. Thanks

Parking in NYC is frightfully expensive. Take public transportation. I would look at the MTA-Metro North commuter trains.

3. Default

I was thinking about parking towards the north most part of the city where the subway goes..anyone tried this?

Default sites

The last time I visited NYC, I decided to skip my usual plan of taking the train in, and instead decided to just park in the City. If you do a google search, there are at least a couple different websites where you can search for parking garages and rates. You can usually reserve or prepay for a parking spot with these sites, but I just used them as a guide to find what parts of the city were economical for parking. Once you find a general area, most garages will be about the same rate.

I ended up parking near the south end of central park, off broadway, where it was about $20 for the day and just a few blocks to the nearest subway station.

Default Such a deal

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I ended up parking near the south end of central park, off broadway, where it was about $20 for the day and just a few blocks to the nearest subway station.
    I last drove into NYC 15 years ago, and it cost over $35 for a single day's worth of parking. Granted, that was near the Empire State building, but still...

How do you feel about driving in the city? That, as well as the cost, would be the determining factor for me.

6. Default

I've lived in nyc and outside of it and taken a lot of days trips and I would say... don't drive into the city. It will take forever and it's expensive. Either park in one of the boroughs (bronx, queens or brooklyn... make sure they are safe areas) and take the subway into Manhattan or just take the nj transit or metro north railroad from where you are staying. Trust me... it will be less hassle and less stress on you.

I don't know where you are staying but if you drive into Morris Park of the Bronx... it's a very safe neighborhood. I leave my car there all the time and then just hop on the subway. Use hopstop.com for directions by subway or pick up a subway map.

Default for me

I was actually very surprised at how easy it was to get around in New York. Admittedly, I wasn't trying to drive during rush hour, and it was during the week between Christmas and New Year so it was a relatively quiet time. But still, I drove across the GW, and down the West Side highway going in without any delays around 10 in the morning, and then straight out the lincoln tunnel about 10 at night and saw very few delays at all.

I'm not saying I'd expect to have that kind of luck every day, but still, I found the city itself remarkably easy to get around.'

Of course, I thought driving and parking in San Francisco was pretty easy too, and that city also has a pretty bad reputation for getting around.

Boston, on the other hand, is a city I don't think I'll be trying my luck with again - after watching the clock tick off more than 2 hours from the time i got off my exit from I-90 to my destination.