Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Audio Books for 10-13 day RoadTrip?

My sisters and I are leaving for a 10-13 day roadtrip at the end of this month and we can't seem to decide on some good audio books.

We realize that the narrator's voice makes a big deal sometimes on whether or not the audio book would be any good.

We are also interested in some good comedy albums, even educational stuff.

Open to ALL suggestions & eager to read what all of you have to suggest.

Default Random Observations on the Topic

I'm not a big fan of audiobooks, mostly because I usually don't get the chance to drive long enough to listen to one all the way through. But I do enjoy 'educational' radio such as All Things Considered and Morning Edition on NPR, and on a RoadTrip many many years ago I loved listening to CBS Radio Mysteries, so I can understand the allure. Probably the most important aspect of audio books is the genre, and secondarily the reader's voice. If you can, get a book that is read by the author. Their tone and inflection may not be exactly to your liking, but he/she will know exactly what they wanted the cadence and emphasis to be. Failing that, an actor/actress whom you like would be the next obvious choice.

AZBuck

Thank you very much for the feedback.
    You make some very good points in your response.
    People, AZBuck is all over it!
    Thanks again :)
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-06-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Quote of entire previous post removed.

Default We've done three....

"Your mileage may vary."

Two mysteries: one by Janet Evanovich (a favorite of my wife's) and one by Tony Hillerman (we were in Navajo country and thought it would be a good match).

The third was "Mornings on Horseback", recounting the early life of Theodore Roosevelt.

I found (as driver) that I had problems concentrating enough to stay with the mysteries (even the Hillerman that I had previously read)... too many other things going on I had to pay more attention to or found more interesting. With the Roosevelt one, I could tune and and out without losing too much of the thread to feel lost. Might just be me; sounds like mysteries worked for AZBuck.

I'm not sure we'll ever do another audio book, unless perhaps we're driving some god-forsaken stretch of asphalt like I5 in the central valley, where there's nothing much to see and we've seen it 45 times.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to bring some along and see if it works for you.

Default Them's fighting words around here....

Quote Originally Posted by CalOldBlue View Post
    'm not sure we'll ever do another audio book, unless perhaps
    AT RTA, we've spent a small fortune of time and money listening to and reviewing audio books -- here are our personal recommendations....

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    AT RTA, we've spent a small fortune of time and money listening to and reviewing audio books -- here are our personal recommendations....

Mark
    excellent :)

i didn't even notice those when i went through the site!

thanks to all of you for your suggestions and recommendations.

Default Ouch!

My bad. Sorry. As I said, it may be just me, and certainly my issues wouldn't apply to the passengers.

<slinking away back under my rock>

My wife is also upset with me; she says Janet Evanovich rules. oh well..
    Last edited by CalOldBlue; 06-07-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: more pounding noises from another quarter

Default Missed a few exits.....

Quote Originally Posted by CalOldBlue View Post
    My bad. Sorry. As I said, it may be just me, and certainly my issues wouldn't apply to the passengers.
    For the uninitiated, audio books these days are more akin to full on production plays than someone reading a book out loud. I've been to known to miss exits when listening to audio books and also drive around the block a few extra times so I can get to an appropriate place to suspend the story-telling before I have to return to the office.
    My wife is also upset with me; she says Janet Evanovich rules. oh well..
    You can back out from under that rock ---!

Mark

9. Default Good Audio Books

Well besides your average audiobooks that everyone has listened to (ex: Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, Eragon, etc.) I would recommend Airborn by Kenneth Opel. I read the book and I hope it's available as an audiobook, and if it isn't I would highly recommend reading it.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-08-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: New members may not post links to commercial sites.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post

Mark
    Audio books ARE very expensive -- even when purchased used -- but you don't have to buy them to enjoy them. The public library has a wonderful selection of books on CD, and if they're missing what you want you can always request it through inter-library loan (a free, though often slow, service).

I like to upload the CDs to my iPod so I don't have to worry about getting them back to the library in a hurry. Also, since my car has MP3 hookup, it's easy for the whole family to listen through the stero system. They can be erased later.

Another option is to rent through Cracker Barrell Restaurants. I don't know exactly how much it is, but it's only a couple dollars.

Things my family has enjoyed -- these lean towards children's books: the Ramona books, The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil _____ (I forget the funny last name, but it was really a fun book), To Kill a Mockingbird, the Harry Potter series. For just myself, I like Anita Shrive or Nora Roberts-type books on tape -- not much substance, very predictable, but I'm not going to listen to anything serious on tape. In book-book format, I am currently in love-love-love with the Outlander series. It's a historical romance about a WW2 nurse who walks through a cleft in a rock and ends up back in the 18th century; I think I'm going to have to check out the library-copy of the CD so I can hear the dreamy Scottish accents.

Though I love them dearly, I do not recommend the RedWall series for audio books. The animals, especially the moles, speak in heavy dialect, and it's very difficult to understand what they're saying -- but then, I'm a highly visual person.