Default Los Angeles, CA to Vancouver, BC, Canada & back to L.A.

First off, I'd like to start by saying that this website and the forums are great! :)
    Better than the others I have found on the web.
    So much useful information here, I love it!

With that said, my sisters and I are taking a road trip from L.A. to Vancouver & back to L.A. & here is my question to those out there on the road trip 'internets'::::

I am embarking on a road trip with the siblings at the end of this month (6/2009) from Los Angeles, CA to Vancouver, BC, Canada, for a 10-13 day turn around, with many stops on the way to Vancouver as well as on the way back to Los Angeles.
    We plan on hitting the bigger of the cities in between, as well as the most interesting and inviting along the way.

My question to you all is, what are the best (recommended) budgeted places to stay (hotel/motel & camping out) along the way.

We plan on taking the coast for most of the way up to Vancouver and returning to L.A. via the main route 5 freeway to get the most possible out of this trip.
    We will be driving a compact vehicle (so no 4x4'ing :( unfortunately haha)

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on where to stop/see/stay please feel free to chime in :)

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ennTOXX; 06-06-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Default Mix It Up

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The best low cost places to sleep are state parks and national forests. Alternating nightly between camping and low cost motels (Motel 6, Super 8, Red Roof Inn, Budgetel and the like) would give you the best of cost saving and the chance ot get a good comfortable night's sleep and a hot shower. In the same way, rather than taking all your time on the drive up and rushing home, think about alternating stretches of shoreline and Interstate both going and coming, seeing some parts of the coast northbound and different ones southbound. I plan to explore part of the Pacific Northwest coast myself this fall, and I heartily recommend these suggestions by Judy as great sources of information.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The best low cost places to sleep are state parks and national forests. Alternating nightly between camping and low cost motels (Motel 6, Super 8, Red Roof Inn, Budgetel and the like) would give you the best of cost saving and the chance ot get a good comfortable night's sleep and a hot shower. In the same way, rather than taking all your time on the drive up and rushing home, think about alternating stretches of shoreline and Interstate both going and coming, seeing some parts of the coast northbound and different ones southbound. I plan to explore part of the Pacific Northwest coast myself this fall, and I heartily recommend these suggestions by Judy as great sources of information.

AZBuck

Thanks for the response Buck :)
    I too had that idea, camp one night to motel/hotel the next night and so on, for the same reasons.

Also great idea about the on/off coast for max exposure to what's out there.

I understand what you mean about rushing home, but I also know from past experiences that the tail end is usually all about getting home haha

Thanks for the recommendation on the Judy threads.
    I'll look into them :)