Default New Member - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi
    In January 2010 my wife and I (both 60) will land in Dallas at the end of a long trip from England, via Australia. We intend to drive from Dallas, TX to see our daughter and family in Indianapolis, IN. A quick look at the map and the route we have picked is Dallas to Memphis to Nashville to Louisville(?) to Indy.
    Can anyone suggest any other stops on the way or even a better route? Any suggestions for how long to allow for the journey (I thought about 7-10 days, allowing for a couple of days here and there), and any recommended hotels?
    I look forward to your suggestions
    Regards
    Roger

Default Otherwise

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are other ways to make the journey, and other things to see along each possible route. All would require about two days to drive, leaving you about a week's worth of time to explore and visit sites along the way. The route you have chosen is certainly one possibility. A slightly more direct route would be to turn north at Memphis and use I-55 to around Cairo, IL, then I-57 to Effingham, IL and finally take I-70 into Indianapolis. A third alternative would be to start out heading north from Dallas up through Oklahoma to I-44 through the Ozarks to St. Louis and then I-70. Each has sites to recommend it. It really depends on what appeals to you. So have a slightly longer look at your maps, and see what's along each of those routes that might appeal to you, or let us know what kinds of things you were hoping to see, and then we might be able to be of some more help.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-06-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks for your quick reply AZBuck.
    I had chosen the Memphis/Nashville route as I would love to go to Graceland (OK, but I am of that era!), and having been to Nashville at Christmas, I can not wait to go back! Are there other sites of interest /must sees along this route?
    Regards
    Roger

Default In That Case

You have plenty of time for this trip, so let me make a few suggestions then. On the way to Memphis, but before you get to Little Rock, a visit to Hot Springs National Park. Then,if you're going to Graceland and Nashville, consider this slight detour. Take US-78 out of Memphis to Tupelo, MS and then take the Natchez Trace Parkway. Then on the drive up through Kentucky, two other highly popular stops would be Mammoth Cave National Park and the Jack Daniel's Distillery tour. If you're also a motorsport fan, a visit to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway would be in order.

AZBuck

Thanks AZBuck, that is just what I was looking for! I will certainly take on board your suggestions.
    Anyone have any recommendations for hotels along the way?

Regards
    Roger

Default Spend a night in jail?

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    Thanks AZBuck, that is just what I was looking for! I will certainly take on board your suggestions. Anyone have any recommendations for hotels along the way?
    If you do follow the Natchez Trace / Kentucky route, I can strongly recommend the Jailer's Inn in Bardston - a real experience. Alternatively, there's the Old Talbott Tavern directly next door, one of the oldest stagecoach inns in America.

Peter