Default Need traveling ideas!

HELP! I need some ideas for a vacation. I know this will be a vague post, but we really are up for just about anything.

My boyfriend and I are planning a vacation for the first week of August. We have a max of 9 days available, but the trip can be shorter too. We are both in our early 30's and it will just be the two of us. We want to travel from Fort Worth, Texas to somewhere in the US or Canada. We can drive if its close. We can fly and rent a car if its not. Doesn't matter.

The only place we don't want to go is Las Vegas because we did that in May.

We love the outdoors. Sun and beaches are fine and all. But we also love the woods and the mountains. We like museums (sort of), parks, rivers, lakes and pools, just about anything. We also really like experiencing the history and culture of the area we are visiting. We want to know what makes a place special and see where the locals go. We are not particularly trendy type people. And we are not necessarly into partying or the wild nightlife. We are very laid back people.

The point of the trip is to see something that we have not seen before, and to do it at a relaxed pace. I do not want to come home needing a vacation from my vacation.

At this point, we are seriously considering throwing a dart at a map to pick or destination. Or we may just go to the airport and get a ticket on the next available flight. That is how undecided we are about where to go.

Any ideas? What's great about where you live? Where have you been that you just loved? Help!

South of England.

Default A big target !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Have you considered a New Mexico, Colorado and Utah loop ? Some great scenery from Red rock to Alpine landscapes and lots of National parks.

Another suggestion would be to fly to LA or SF and travel the coast and take a trip to one of my all time fav places, Yosemite.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Woods & Mountains

I don't think you could do better than a visit to Washington state to see Olympia National Park (a moderate-temp rainforest with areas of old growth that are quite primordial), ending with visits to Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier.

4. Default

For just a couple of days? I would recommend going to Yosemite if you want a busy trip. There is a lot to do and you will definitely keep busy. If you want something more relaxing, I would suggest getting a cabin near Gettysburg, Tennessee. Another idea is the Niagra Falls.

Tucson, AZ

Default Appalachia

What sprang to my mind in reading your 'wish list' of what your vacation site should offer was the stretch of the Appalachian Mountains between roughly Great Smoky Mountains on the Tennessee/North Carolina border to Gettysburg in southern Pennsylvania. Within this swath of country are great hikes including the Appalachian Trail, Shenandoah National Park, quaint towns, scenic drives including the Blue Ridge Parkway, more Civil War and Revolutionary battlefields than you can shake a stick at, President's homes such as Monticello and Ash Lawn-Highland, i.e. just what you're looking for: lots to do, and all of it quiet, relaxed and scenic. There are other such places in America, and I'll be checking out a corner of Oregon this fall looking for a similar experience, but if you haven't seen this area of the country I heartily recommend it. You could easily drive from Houston to Knoxville in two days, a pleasant drive in its own right, have 5 days to explore and then drive home again in 2 more days. Or you could fly into any number of airports around or in the area to save those 4 days. Charlotte would probably be your best bet, but other possibilities include Nashville, Knoxville, or Raleigh at the southern end, and Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh at the northern end.

Lovettsville, VA/DC Metro Area

I would agree with PNW Judy - the Pacific NW is absolutely beautiful. THere is also Crater Lake in OR as well as the OR coast - Seaside and Astoria are both nice places to visit and the beaches on the OR/WA coast are gorgeous (but cold). You could take the coastal hwy up (if I remember correctly it's hwy 101).