Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default December & January RoadTrip!

We are looking for some advice.. these are the plans thus far.. please let me know suggestions so I can make adjustments. :) I am making another post in regards to Road Trippin' from NE USA also, so please check that aswell.
    We are coming to USA from Australia in December and have pretty much an entire day to make our way from LA to San Diego with our rental car.
    Can anybody suggest the route we should take eg. should we go inland and see some desert areas or go down the coast, on what Id assume would be nothing more than a freeway? and make some stops in Orange County?
    From San Diego we have a day to drive to San Francisco which I know does not give us much time for stopping and checking much out. I have directions printed for the coastal route up the coast and it should take around 10 hours I believe, so what are some must stop at places? Has anybody done this trip before that could give us an idea on whether we should leave early morning so we make it past LA before lunch time or leave it later to see more and arrive in San Francisco after dark?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-03-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: New title due to merged threads

Default New York City-Canada-Washington DC in January.

Ill introduce ourselves first so you can adjust your advice accordingly!
    We are Australian and have never had to drive in snow or ice or anything like that.. We will have a rental car (Chevrolet Aveo) so are hoping that we will make it to our destination safely! We will be doing this trip as from January 2nd.
    We have a bit of a drive planned (well more than I had anticipated!) so need some advice for this journey.
    I have 2 other posts also concerning California and Las Vegas- Los Angeles.
    These are our plans.
    We are leaving New York City and are going to Montreal, either via New York state or going into Vermont and going up that way, and visiting Ben and Jerry's on the way (although being winter may not be a good idea!). We need to know the best route, and of course any places we should stop and check something out!
    From Montreal we will be going to Ottawa and then to Toronto.
    From Toronto our next destination is Washington DC. At this stage we have a planned overnight stop in State College, Pennsylvania. We have no idea what the terrain is like between these places in Winter, whether its flat or mountainous, so I guess flat is preferable! Due to our inexperience of North American Winter's.
    If anybody has a different route we should take that may be safer and/or take us to a nicer overnight stop I'd like to know :)
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-03-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Threads merged for one road trip (please, post in this thread only)

Default Las Vegas to Los Angeles

We have an entire day to do the Los Angeles to Las Vegas trip so we are open to suggestions as to what route we should take. I have no idea whats in between these two cities, so any advice would be great!
    Also, while Im in this post, we will be visiting the Grand Canyon from LV, so where should we go (on a day trip) and also is the Hoover Dam doable with the Grand Canyon trip??
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-03-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Threads merged for one road trip (please, post in this thread only)

Default Better look at your map again!

Quote Originally Posted by dahipster View Post
    We are coming to USA from Australia in December and have pretty much an entire day to make our way from LA to San Diego with our rental car.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum and to America!
    Can anybody suggest the route we should take eg. should we go inland and see some desert areas or go down the coast, on what Id assume would be nothing more than a freeway? and make some stops in Orange County?
    Since it sounds like you've only allowed one day in San Diego, I'd get down there as quickly as you can (about three hours from LA) and enjoy the area.
    From San Diego we have a day to drive to San Francisco which I know does not give us much time for stopping and checking much out. I have directions printed for the coastal route up the coast and it should take around 10 hours I believe, so what are some must stop at places?
    This doesn't make much sense. Drive from LA to San Diego and then back to San Francisco. If you drive the coast, you need to plan to be on the road at least 15 hours! And in December, you could well have stormy weather which will delay you further. Since you are also going to Las Vegas -- it seems like the San Diego destination makes more sense on that leg.

We have an entire day to do the Los Angeles to Las Vegas trip so we are open to suggestions as to what route we should take. I have no idea whats in between these two cities, so any advice would be great!
    When does this part of the trip occur? It would seem to make more sense to drive LA to San Diego to Las Vegas. There are several scenic options for this route.
    Also, while Im in this post, we will be visiting the Grand Canyon from LV, so where should we go (on a day trip) and also is the Hoover Dam doable with the Grand Canyon trip??
    It is not a day trip from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon -- driving miles alone -- at top speed would require 10 hours in the car for a round trip, leaving little time to enjoy the canyon. You really need to stay overnight. Hoover Dam can be full day-trip from Las Vegas (it's only about an hour, but by the time you do the tour and look around, you'll be there most of the day.

Mark

Sorry Mark, I should have been a little more clear :)
    When we arrive in San Diego we have 3 days there, I just meant we have an entire day to make our way down there from Los Angeles.
    It does sound a bit odd driving from Los Angeles to San Diego and then to San Francisco, but our direct international flight lands in Los Angeles.
    Whilst on our US trip we are flying between major cities, into LA, out of San Fran, into New York, our of DC, into Orlando, out of Miami, into Mexico and flights within Mexico then flying back out of Mexico into Las Vegas. Then we have 2 days in Las Vegas to see whats in and around Vegas and then we have an entire day to drive from Las Vegas back to Los Angeles to then get our flight back to Sydney. It would have been a good idea to to do the LA to San Diego to Las Vegas trip, but had limited time to fit California in before New Years in New York City haha.

Default Las Vegas on New Years is more fun!

Your trip is already set, but I would always choose New Years on the Las Vegas strip over NYC -- it's very uncomfortably cold in NYC on New Years and the party on the strip is nearly two miles long....

Now, to your points....
    When we arrive in San Diego we have 3 days there, I just meant we have an entire day to make our way down there from Los Angeles
    In that case, you might want do some wine country cruising around Temecula. And here are some day-trip ideas around San Diego. And some in-town tips from Gen.
    It does sound a bit odd driving from Los Angeles to San Diego and then to San Francisco, but our direct international flight lands in Los Angeles
    OK, but, it really is impossible to drive from San Diego to San Francisco in one day. You need to break up that trip someplace. I would suggest stopping near Cuaycos or Morro Bay.
    Then we have 2 days in Las Vegas to see whats in and around Vegas
    There's plenty to do in and around Las Vegas -- but you can not drive to the Grand Canyon & back unless that's all you want to do with your two days -- Death Valley NP is a better choice and here are some more ideas.
    and then we have an entire day to drive from Las Vegas back to Los Angeles to then get our flight back to Sydney.
    It's a 4-6 hour trip from Las Vegas to LAX. You could swing by the Mojave Desert Preserve on your way.

Mark

Cheers Marc, I appreciate the ideas. Ill check them all out. The national parks and wine tasting are 2 big interests of mine, so your suggestions suit me just fine!
    I had never thought about Las Vegas New Years before, maybe another time as my partner has been at me for 4 years to spend New Years in New York City haha.
    Also, will have to change the plans a bit to make sure we have an overnight stop between SD and SF, we have done 15 hour non stop trips within Australia and they are not very fun! When I wrote up the plans, I had no idea what the distance was like!!
    Thanks again!

Default Wow!

What a trip!

It might be helpful if we knew a little bit more about how much time you have to spend in a particular part of the country, and whether or not your flights are locked in or if you're flexible there.

Also; adults only or kids too? Particular interests?

This could help us better focus suggestions that fit your circumstances.

Aside to Mark: thanks to a hideous backup at Southwest Airlines checkin at OAK one late December morning, I found it IS possible to drive from the Bay Area to San Diego in one day (if you have sufficient incentive, like getting to the Holiday Bowl in time to see Cal destroy Texas A&M), but the drive isn't much fun.

That said: I agree; try to break that trip up into two days... Santa Barbara, Cayucos, Morro Bay, Cambria, etc.

Final note: when you fly during holiday periods allow LOTS of time to get through checkin and security. We arrived with two hours to spare for a domestic flight on 12/26, and bailed after 90 minutes; we had only advanced maybe halfway through baggage check and still had security to navigate.

There are LOTS of people flying those days, and most are not professional flyers so security slows down. Your trip includes these periods, so make sure you allow time on the "bad" days. Talk to your carrier for a better idea what the "bad days" might be.

(jeez I gotta learn to type faster, there's been two posts to this thread since I started this reply).

Default Technically that's true

Quote Originally Posted by CalOldBlue View Post
    Aside to Mark: thanks to a hideous backup at Southwest Airlines checkin at OAK one late December morning, I found it IS possible to drive from the Bay Area to San Diego in one day (if you have sufficient incentive, like getting to the Holiday Bowl in time to see Cal destroy Texas A&M), but the drive isn't much fun.
    But I bet you used I-5 just about the entire distance? These members want to drive the coast highway and still do it in one day.... It could be done -- but it would be very tiring....
    There are LOTS of people flying those days, and most are not professional flyers so security slows down. Your trip includes these periods, so make sure you allow time on the "bad" days. Talk to your carrier for a better idea what the "bad days" might be.
    Which is another reason why you ought to not load up that last day's trip to LAX!
    (jeez I gotta learn to type faster, there's been two posts to this thread since I started this reply).
    This happens to me all of the time!

...And I like your avatar!

Mark

Hi CalOldBlue,
    Ill give you a run down of the trip and time spent in each place.
    Basically we arrive in LA and spend 4 days there. Then we drive down to San Diego and spend 3 nights there. We then have the drive up to San Francisco (which we had planned to do in a day) and that gives us 3 nights there.
    From there we are flying to New York City and spending 3 nights there, then driving down to the Lancaster, Penssylvania area for 3 nights. We then head back to New York and spend 2 nights there (for New Years). From there we drive directly up to Montreal where we have 3 nights, then Ottawa for 3, then Toronto for another 3.
    From Toronto we plan on driving to State College, Pennsylvania and spend the night then head to DC from there.
    We have 3 nights in DC, then flying from there to Orlando.
    We are driving from Orlando out to Cape Carnaveral and then down to Miami, then from there to Key West for a couple nights and then to Miami and then flying into Cancun. This part of the trip I have pretty much figured out.
    We ate flying from Guadalajara to Las Vegas around 3 weeks later and spending 3 days there and then intended to make the trip back to LA in the morning and take our time as our flight back to Sydney does not leave until 11.15pm.
    Ill be a bit hesitant to change any of the dates around, but if you have any advice on what cities we have allowed too much time in, please tell me (I have made this mistake before and spend a day or two bored as I have seen everything there is to see!!)
    We both have varied interests, but sport is one we share, we intend to see some ice hockey in Canada or NE US if the dates we are there dont match up for the games while we are in Canada.
    We enjoy driving and traveling of course, so would be ideal to take in a variety of different landscapes such as desert, snow, forest etc..
    Im also big on architecture and history, so some stops Id like to make would be in the more pretty and historic towns. We also love theme parks, so if there are any others beside the obvious Los Angeles and Orlando ones, we would certainly like to know about it! :)