1. Default Need help on a cross country trip

My girlfriend and I are taking a cross country road trip and camping a lot of the way. We have 4 weeks. From NY to Niagara Falls = 6 and 1/2 hrs, 368 miles. Spend 2 nights camping near falls. Niagara to Lake Michigan 7 and a 1/2 hrs, 480 miles. spend 2 night camping. Mich to Chicago 6hrs 45 mins, 396 miles camp one night.

After this we are trying to make it to Boulder and stay with family for 2 or 3 nights, we need to find a place to stop on the way and sleep since it's 15 hrs away. After Boulder we are trying to make it to the grand canyon = 15 hrs, then Vegas where I have family to stay for another couple nights = 5 more hrs. Also need a place in between. Then Vegas to San Fran = 9 hrs. Total of 3,783 miles, Then back to NY for another 3,000 miles. I am trying to find a good way to break it up in 4 weeks minimizing hrs on road per day.

Any suggestions on what route to take on the way back to NY from San Fran. ?Maybe easier driving, nice scenic routes, good places to sleep? Thanks

Green County, Wisconsin

Default change your approach

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I really would recommend that you change your approach and take a "bigger picture" approach to your planning.

You've built a one way trip almost as if you were doing a speed run, with the exception that you've built in a couple extra days at each location. For example, you are talking about trip between Chicago and Boulder and then onto the Grand Canyon as places that you need to drive to directly, maybe with a stop somewhere in between. Certainly there are a ton of great things between those places that you can explore, and with 4 weeks, you've got the luxury of having time to explore.

Las Vegas to San Francisco is another huge example of this. You've marked this off as a 9 hour trip - which it certainly can be. But this area alone is also a place where people can and do spend weeks exploring, and if you look around this forum you will find thousands of posts of people who are looking for help doing just that!

Instead of just listing off a bunch of points to hit on the way to San Francisco, take a look at all the things you might want to see across the country. Then you can build a complete round trip around those things, instead of just listing a bunch of places, racing from point to point, and then wondering what you should do when its time to head back home.

3. Default

Thanks Mike, I will definitely consider that.

4. Default Good stops b/t Chicago and Boulder CO to sleep and spend day??

Does anyone know a good stop to see, spend night, and day between Chicago and Boulder CO. Also looking for a good spot between Boulder CO and Las Vegas, and between Las Vegas and San Fran.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-05-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Please do not start new threads for the same trip.

Tucson, AZ

Default 'Good' is in the Eye of the Beholder

From a strictly logistical point of view, somewhere in the vicinity of Omaha, or maybe Lincoln would break up the drive between Chicago an dBoulder nicely and offer some things to do if you wanted to spend a day in the area. Similarly, from Boulder to Las Vegas, Moab would let you see Arches National Park as well as spend the night, and If you're really going to take two days between Las Vegas and San Francisco, look seriously at going up through Death Valley the first day and spending the night in Bishop, and then continuing the next day over Tioga Pass through Yosemite and then into the Bay area.