Default looking for some information please!!

im thinking about heading over to america from scotland and doing a road trip by myself i would like to travel from the west coast to the east coast. I enjoy partys and nightlife but also like a night round a fire. I was thinking about buying a car and doing it by car. Can anyone help with some information about where i can buy a cheap car and the equipment needed for the road trip with maybe links to a few websites? Where is best to start my road trip from? Insurance for the car? best places to visit on the trip? the kind of route i should be planning? information about camping aswell and how much approximatly it will cost me for the trip?

all help will be greatly appreciated

thanks james.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default do a search

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I would encourage you to simply do a search of this website. This topic has come up many times before.

To put it simply, it is very very difficult for a non-resident of the US to purchase a car, plus get insurance, and registration. Unless you are visiting on a long term visa (not the visa waiver program) it is nearly impossible get get beyond the paperwork. Generally, you're looking at 2-3 months before you even reach the break even point vs. renting a car, although at age 20, renting really won't be an option for you either.

Waiting until you are 21 would probably make more sense, as then you could rent a car (albeit with an underage fee), plus you'll be able to enjoy the nightlife - with the 21 year old drinking age in the US, most clubs simply won't allow anyone under that age.

I wish I had some better news for you, but this just isn't something that will easily work.