1. Default NY to SFO in 3.5 weeks - drive?

Hi there

I'm new to these forums. I plan to drive from NY to San Franciso in 3.5 weeks and I was wondering if this is wise. Please can anyone suggest whether I should do this or abandon this idea entirely and go by train?

I plan to go south past DC, New Orleans, Austin, Santa Fe, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles then San Franciso.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My alternative was to go via Chicago, ditch the car and take the California Zephyr to San Francisco, which would leave more time to drive around explore the west coast more.

Thank you!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default different animals

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're talking about 2 pretty different options. Certainly with 3.5 weeks you've got plenty of time to drive. It would only take you about a week to make the drive itself (not including time for stops in cities), so you've got quite a few options if you choose to drive. If you drive, then you'd also have the option of stopping where every you want as you make your way west.

If you take the train, you could find that it is cheaper - however, I would recommend taking the train all the way from DC, perhaps stopping in Chicago instead. Any money you'd save by taking the train from Chicago would likely be wiped out by the one way drop off fee to take a car to Chicago.

It really depends upon what kind of trip you want. If you'd like to make the trip, stopping where you want to stop, then I'd drive. If you'd prefer to be able just to look out the windows as you make your way across the country, then the train could be a better choice.

3. Default

Thank you very much! It sounds like driving is a much more interesting way to see the country. Good tip about the one way fee for the car - I hadn't thought about that.

I look forward to the adventure of exploring US by car!