1. Default Atlantic Coast - timing NY to the Keys

Hi all,

Great site here that has already given me a good deal of info. I've also picked up Jamie Jensen's book which has been really helpful.

Just looking to plug a couple of gaps.

Planning a 4 week honeymoon in the US next June. The plan is to hopefully do a couple of road trips connected by internal flights - New York to Key West and then something over on the West Coast.

Only sticking point I'm finding is timing. Living in the UK, some of the scale is a little confusing and I'm struggling to work out how long the east coast route will take so that I can move on to planning the West.

We'd like to take in NY, Atlantic City, Philadelphia, Washington (which is looking like a bit of a loop at the moment) and then down through Virginia, Carolina, Savannah, Daytona, Miami and on to the Keys.

I know total driving time is around the thirty hour mark, but can anyone tell me whether a two week trip is enough to take this in at some leisure?

I don't mind pulling longer drives, but would like to spend a couple of days in major stops if possible.

Sorry if this is all a bit vague, but the examples I've seen are extreme. From 30 hours straight through to Virgin Holidays suggesting a 12 day fly drive just in Virginia.

Are we biting off a little too much?

Any views welcome.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default dividing it up

Welcome to the RTA forum!

As with any trip, you just have to work with the time you have available. You are right that you'd be looking at about 30 hours of driving, so you could cover the distance in as little as 3 days on the road. With 2 weeks, that still would leave you 11 days to explore. Now of course, you won't be able to spend several days each at all of the place you've talked about, but you should be able to spend a day at most of the places, and throw in a 2nd or 3rd day at others, depending upon the kind of pace that you'd like best.

3. Default

Thanks for that. I hadn't really gotten my head around the "14-3" formula, daft as that sounds.

Probably time to get the atlas out and do some detailed route planning.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default keeping it simple

Sometimes when you are planning a trip, it is easy to let yourself get overwelmed with the possibilities. Breaking things down into smaller, more manageable elements can be a good help just to help get your hands around things. Plotting out a rought itinerary will be a good next step for you, so you can get an idea of how much time on paper that you'd really have.

Let us know if you need more help as you continue your planning!

Default The Delmarva Peninsula and the NC Outer Banks

Hello Balla Boy,

Yes, it seems you've got a lot of time to get from NYC to Key West, especially as it appears the entire roughly 14 days is just NYC to KW, and your continuation would be to fly out of KW.

Perhaps one from the UK or the Continent would be less enamored (enamoured?) of ferry travel than those of us on this side of the pond, where it's relatively rare. Still, for variety, scenery, and unique culture, it's tough to beat traversing VA and NC along the coast. Consider:

Leaving Washington, DC via US 50 to the east. Cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at Annapolis. Travel all the way down the Delmarva (DElaware, MARyland, and VirginiA) Peninsula to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, a 17 mile series of causeways with two tunnels which crosses the mouth of the Bay. Turn east on Shore Drive on the Virginia Beach side and book a room on the Bay side of the high-rise Virginia Beach Conference Center and Resort, just 3 miles from the CBBT, and catch the sunset, recreational boating, and commercial/military shipping all over the Bay to your west. Return to US 13, turn south, connect to I-64/VA 168/NC 168/US 158 to Nag's Head. Continue south on NC 12 and drive along the Outer Banks, crossing the Oregon Inlet Bridge and visiting the villages of Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, and Hatteras Village at the far end. Take the 45 minute free ferry over to Ocracoke Island. The Ocracoke to Cedar Island Ferry is a longer ride of some 2.5 hours and places you back on the mainland at Cedar Island (yes, it's an island but connected to the mainland by a very short bridge. From there you can pass by/through Beaufort, Morehead City, to pick up NC 24 and slant across the NC Coastal Plain to get back towards the interior. Or, if you REALLY like glitz and tourist kitsch, go down US 17 through Wilmington, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC, where you'll find kitsch in sensory overload amounts. I'd reckon you could easily spend 3-4 days between DC and central SC by taking this long loop along the coast. If you're interested, I can suggest some other sights and even specific places to stay or eat along the way. Finally, be aware of the Memorial Day holiday weekend in late May (always the 4th Monday) and the general fact that public schools finish their academic year in early June. Coastal motels and campgrounds enter their "high season" then, so advance reservations are usually recommended. Ditto for the Ocracoke-Cedar Island Ferry, where reservations are strongly recommended.

Have a great time planning and taking your US RoadTrip!