1. Default Road trip from Chicago to Houston

Hello everyone,

Me and my boyfriend will be visiting USA for the first time this summer. We have a friend living in Chicago and other around Houston area. We are planning to drive from Chicago all the way to Texas, Houston. Any advise/tips on what is the best way to drive and what are "the must see" places? We both enjoy beautiful scenery and don't really want to spend a great deal of time in big cities, but rather explore smaller villages/national parks and other pleasant places.

Any information is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Tucson, AZ

Default Scenic and Slow

Welcome to the RoadTrip America forums!

Yours is a trip that seems made to follow the Great River Road. What I'd suggest is that you look at something like cutting down through Illinois to St. Louis to start. You can either take smaller roads through the countryside and visit all the Lincoln historic sites or take the freeway, I-55, depending on how much time you have and your interests. I know that St. Louis is a 'big city' but there is quite a lot to see and do there, including the Arch, zoo, museums, and riverboats. From there, you can work your way south along the river visiting quaint old towns like Ste. Genevieve, taking ferry rides to cross the river now and then, seeing the ante-bellum homes from the old South in towns like Vicksburg and Natchez. If time permits, you can go all the way down to New Orleans before turning west to follow the Gulf coast to Houston. Here again, you'll have your choice between a freeway, I-10, or a set of scenic roads, the Creole Nature Trail. You would need at least two days to make the drive to Houston entirely by freeway with only minimal stops. You'll need to have considerably more time available to make the trip in the leisurely manner you envision.