Thread: SW Round trip

1. Default SW Round trip

Hi there, my wife and I are planning a road trip to the southwest. We are primarily interested in desert hikes and (tent) camping. Basically, our must sees are:

- Death Valley
    - Zion Park
    - Monument Valley
    - Santa Fe

We plan to fly in and out via Las Vegas.

We only have 2 weeks, does this seem reasonable? Would it be better to make it one-way and fly out of Santa Fe? And would it be a travesty to skip the Grand Canyon?

South of England.

Default Yes, not necessarily, Yes

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With 2 weeks at your disposal, you have a nice amount of time and could quite easily do a loop if you wanted to, and you will be so close to the GC it would be a shame not too !
    Only you can decide on the balance between hiking and driving and that will dictate how long you have to visit other places on route. As far as National parks go you have the option of visiting the quieter GC North rim which is nice for hiking and solitude and not far from Zion or the busier South rim with more facilities if you come back to Vegas. Some other parks you could choose from are Bryce canyon, Capitol reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde and Canyon De Chelley and details on those and camping can be found on the website I linked you too.

Have a search of the forums and when you have decided what you would like to do we could help you "fine tune" your trip.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by rjames22
    Would it be better to make it one-way and fly out of Santa Fe?
    There is no commercial airline service available in Santa Fe at the moment. Beginning June 11, American Eagle Airlines will be making one daily round-trip flight between Dallas-Ft. Worth and Santa Fe. So, unless flying to Dallas fits into your plans, you would want to book your return flight out of Albuquerque.

Default Desert Hiking

I have a blog that you might be interested in reading before you get to Monument Valley. It is called ''Beyond Mesa Verde" it will give you an idea of the hiking and camping just 45 miles from Monument Valley.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-04-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate link.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Nice blog! And YES to the Big Ditch!

Good info and beautiful pictures. I've bookmarked it. It will be a nice resource.

You will be so close and the Grand Canyon is so...well, grand that I can't imagine being that close and missing it. After the GC, Bryce is my favorite in that area and you'll be close to it as well.

You have time for nice loop trip. You might consider adding Albuquerque, Taos, Durango and Mesa Verde. Especially the latter three. Great spots!