Default Road trip from RI down south and back

Hello all,

Me and two friends are planning to drive to Georgia and back from Rhode Island. We plan on going down inland through western virginia, eastern kentucky,tennessee (hopefully see some whiskey distilleries) and then back up along the coast through Savannah, Myrtle Beach and the Outer banks in NC.

The first leg of the trip I'd love to see some nice scenic roads from Pennsylvania/Maryland to Tennessee, any suggestions?

Is I-81 as scenic as it's supposed to be?

Also, we'd love to see some good amusement parks along the way so any suggestions on this front would be very welcome, as well as any other suggestions about the south in general! Thanks in advance!!

-Mike

Default Roads I've Liked

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Yes, actually, I-81 is a very nice scenic, but not spectacular, road. And although it's been decades since I drove them last, I'd recommend any combination of US-6, US-44 and RI/CT-101 to get to Hartford and then take I-84 to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to pick it up. That sure beats fighting your way down I-95 for any appreciable distance. Once you're through into Virginia, other possibilities open up. Probably the most scenic is the two lane Blue Ridge Parkway along the crest of the Appalachians, but that comes with a severe time penalty as speed limits hover around 35 mph. Fortunately the South is also well equipped with for lane divided (but not limited access) highways. These usually include bypasses of both small towns and larger cities affording you the option of driving through or around as you see fit. Examples would include US-11, US-19, US-25, US-29, US-220 and others. Your best bet is to get a good set of maps or an atlas and start seeing which such roads go where you'd like.

The only other suggestion I have is on your way back up the coast, be sure to take in Charleston, SC. Highlights would include Fort Sumter reachable by ferry from Patriots Point, and if it's open, the restoration of the CSS Hundley.

AZBuck

If you are looking for amusement parks, Dollywood is on your way down and Busch Gardens is on your way back. There is also a Six Flags near Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Yes, actually, I-81 is a very nice scenic, but not spectacular, road. And although it's been decades since I drove them last, I'd recommend any combination of US-6, US-44 and RI/CT-101 to get to Hartford and then take I-84 to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to pick it up. That sure beats fighting your way down I-95 for any appreciable distance. Once you're through into Virginia, other possibilities open up. Probably the most scenic is the two lane Blue Ridge Parkway along the crest of the Appalachians, but that comes with a severe time penalty as speed limits hover around 35 mph. Fortunately the South is also well equipped with for lane divided (but not limited access) highways. These usually include bypasses of both small towns and larger cities affording you the option of driving through or around as you see fit. Examples would include US-11, US-19, US-25, US-29, US-220 and others. Your best bet is to get a good set of maps or an atlas and start seeing which such roads go where you'd like.

The only other suggestion I have is on your way back up the coast, be sure to take in Charleston, SC. Highlights would include Fort Sumter reachable by ferry from Patriots Point, and if it's open, the restoration of the CSS Hundley.

AZBuck
    Thanks so much for the advice, 44 and 84 are right near home and it never even crossed my mind to take it to PA but avoiding NYC/Jersey/Philly is always preferable since we're familiar with those areas already.

Charleston will likely be on the itinerary as well, I've heard great things. I am definitely a history buff so I'd love to see Fort Sumter.