1. Default Arlington VA to Dever CO, need lots of advice!

hey im doing a trip from virginia to colorado, over probably 3 days or so, we dont really have a plan on how long to take or anything so far i think we are just going to drive when we feel like and rest when we want.
    its going to be me and a friend, but we are driving two different cars, so no switching drivers.
    we want to know of some fun roads, the less populated by cops the better, and some cool places to see on the way. we are both driving it in sports cars so we want plenty of twisty roads, mountain passes, etc...

i checked out different routs on google maps, and we can go more north and go through chicago, iowa, and nebraska.
    go more south through tennessee, arkansas, oaklahoma and kansas.
    or go more through the middle, indiana, st. louis, kansas.

so any help or advice on the best route, and any good places to stop by, fun roads etc. would be great!

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

How long are you in Colorado for ?

I would find the mountain roads you are looking for on arrival as there are many great driving roads and you have the best part of 3x10 hour days to get from A TO B directly so not a lot of time for detours.
    Bare in mind that while "having fun" no road is immune from law enforcement and that there are family's trying to go about there business in a safe manner.

Have a great trip !

3. Default

Sounds Cool.

If I was you, I would take 66 west, 81 south and 40 west. At Flagstaff, AZ go north to the grand canyon. After that, drive through Utah to Denver. Take 70 East to go home. Interstate 40 and Historic Route 66 meet at Oklahoma City, OK.

Google Monument Valley, UT. The pictures on the internet look awesome.

I will make a similar road trip from Vienna, VA to Los Angeles in the fall (3 Weeks).
    I will take 66 west, 81 south and 40 west. VA, TN, AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ and CA. 2700 miles.

On the way home I plan on hitting
    Yosemite,
    Death Valley,
    Las Vegas,
    Zion National Park, Utah
    Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah
    Monument Valley, UT
    Grand Canyon, AZ

Taking 40 East back home.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

How long are you in Colorado for ?

I would find the mountain roads you are looking for on arrival as there are many great driving roads and you have the best part of 3x10 hour days to get from A TO B directly so not a lot of time for detours.
    Bare in mind that while "having fun" no road is immune from law enforcement and that there are family's trying to go about there business in a safe manner.

Have a great trip !
    im not a very big speeder, on twisty roads i usually dont go much over the speed limit at all, i like more of a spirited drive, not a race. more just going through corners quickly than flying through them squeeling the tires. its on long strips of highway where you see a car a minute, and you can see miles and miles ahead of you where i speed too much.